cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your feedback made the difference: Say hello to SSMC 2.2 and 2.3

StorageExperts

Usman.jpg

By Usman Kidwai, 3PAR StoreServ Senior Product Manager   @usmankidwai

Late last year, we released 3PAR Operating System 3.2.2 and 3PAR StoreServ Management Console (SSMC) 2.2, which was loaded with a ton of new features. Earlier this month, we released HPE 3PAR Operating System 3.2.2 MU2 that brings you more new features. We also released HPE 3PAR StoreServ Management Console (SSMC) 2.3. This latest SSMC release is once again very feature rich. Here, I’ll share more information on all features we have added in both SSMC 2.2 and 2.3.

Just so you know, HPE 3PAR StoreServ Management Console (SSMC) 2.3 is already available for all HPE 3PAR StoreServ customers to install free of charge on HPE 3PAR SW Depot.

First, what’s new in SSMC 2.2?

Image1J.jpgWhats new in SSMC 2.2

The 2.2 release packed a mean punch – as we added feature enhancements in all SSMC elements, increased support for up to 32 systems to be managed by a single SSMC instance and also added storage federation functionality with HPE 3PAR Peer Motion. What this means is with Peer Motion, you can now use SSMC to setup your multi-array bidirectional Peer Motion setup and to orchestrate the data movement of hosts and volumes from one array to another array in a federation. Numerous features for File Provisioning were added as well. 

Now, what’s new in SSMC 2.3?

The 2.3 release is equally loaded with feature enhancements, especially around Block Provisioning, Federation, Remote Copy and System Reporter.

Image2J.jpgNew features in SSMC 2.3

Block Provisioning: Our philosophy when we were designing SSMC was to make it such an easy-to-use tool that it would require minimal effort on the user’s part to complete their tasks. Taking this one step further in 2.3, we have added enhancements that provide an even more efficient way to provision and know your host I/O stacks in detail. We also added a feature for Virtual Volume Templates that allows users to create templates based on needs or specific SLAs for various applications. Once the template has been created, the future provisioning of Virtual Volumes takes matter of seconds.Image3J.jpgBlock provisioning - host explorer support

If you use HPE 3PAR Host Explorer Software, here’s some welcoming news: Integration is available within SSMC with Host Explorer. For all the hosts that have 3PAR Host Explorer installed: after selecting a host in SSMC, you will be able to get information automatically pertaining to the Host OS, versions, Persona, Paths and HBA driver. With 3PAR Host Explorer integrating with SSMC, creating a host is now just an easy three-click operation.

If you use Thin Deduplication, you’ll be happy to know that we have added the capability to display dedup savings in SSMC 2.3. This capability allows users to get an estimation on the dedup savings you are getting on a per Virtual Volume basis.

Image4J.jpgBlock provisioning - estimate dedup savings

Federation: With 3PAR OS 3.2.2, we added the capability for creating a 4-system federation that allows users to create a multi-array bidirectional Peer Motion setup to move data non–disruptively between the arrays in the federation. We added this capability in SSMC 2.2 – and now 2.3 brings a bunch of such new capabilities. One of the main capabilities is a Topological view of your federation that gives you a bird’s-eye view of what your setup looks like and how are the systems connected in the federation.

Image5J.jpgPeer Motion - topological view

Along with this, we have added the capability of Peer Motion with Remote Copy Groups, plus the ability to change the priority for those tasks that are already in flight. If you have a federation setup and you lose your SSMC instance, you do not need to worry about recreating your federation. You can simply bring your new SSMC instance and “restore” the federation.

Remote Copy: In SSMC 2.1, we added the capability of being able to create 1:1 Remote Copy configs. In SSMC 2.2, we expanded the enriched orchestration of Remote Copy by adding support for NxM configs and a Topology map for systems in a Remote Copy relationship. With SSMC 2.3, we have now added support for creating Synchronous–Long–Distance configurations.

System Reporter: You are probably already aware that an instance of System Reporter is by default installed on HPE 3PAR StoreServ Storage system. This instance automatically starts collecting performance data from the local systems. The embedded database can retain data for up to 5 years. Now SSMC 2.3 includes a whole new sets of features for System Reporter. You’ll find default reports that allow users to create hundreds of combinations for reporting needs. We have also added and Real Time Reports and Bar Charts that allow the user to create real-time reports with multiple components. Simply choose the object you want to include and populate your report.

Another nifty feature in 2.3 is the ability to get At–Time Histogram pop–up information, allowing users with an interactive menu to modify or add/modify bucket sizes, Order–by or Group–by. At–Time Histogram reports provide users with an in–depth details on the objects in the chart for which At–Time Histograms are being generated for. One more ease of use functionality that has been added into 2.3 is the ability to multi–select and multi–delete reports. Lastly, a whole set of new Compare–By and Compare–With Reports are part of 2.3.

Image6J.jpgSystem Reporter - default templates list for canned reports

And even more features: Some additional features that we’ve added in SSMC 2.3 deliver a more enjoyable user experience. One such feature is the ability to manage system services like VASA Provider, SMI-S CIM Server, SNMP Trap Destinations and WSAPI.

Other enhancements in SSMC 2.3 around 3PAR Adaptive Optimization (AO) allow users to know the desired capacity for each AO configuration. A new Layout view added in the Systems page allows users to view the percentage use of each physical drive device type in a drive enclosure and wide striping in action. This functionality replaces the “chunklet” view that was displayed in the legacy 3PAR Management Console.

feedback_ATSB_shutterstock_245689672_blog.jpg

We continue to listen to you – and we continue to enhance SSMC. We are confident that SSMC 2.3 delivers an even better user experience to you, our HPE 3PAR StoreServ customers. If you have any questions or would like to share your feedback on HPE 3PAR StoreServ Management Console, please do not hesitate to contact me directly by sending me a private message via my Twitter account: @usmankidwai

You want SSMC 2.3 now? HPE 3PAR StoreServ Management Console (SSMC) 2.3 is already available for all HPE 3PAR StoreServ customers to install free of charge on HPE 3PAR SW Depot.

About the Author

StorageExperts

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.

Comments
Colin Harvey

I like the 2.3 improvements but still there are gaps.  Reporting needs to show multiple objects not aggregate them together.  As I'd like to create weekly reports showing max IOPS, latency per volume together.  Along with capacity per volume. Max host IOPS, read and writes.

Big-Al

I don't think HPE do listen. The general feeling amongst 3PAR users is that SSMC is not liked and it's not an adequate replacement for IMC.

Why change something that works?

I don’t know who’s idea it was to roll out the “Piano” interface but it feels far too basic and it's a big step back from what users are used to.

UsmanKidwai

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your feedback. Can you please PM me your contact details on my twitter @UsmanKidwai and lets connect live.
I would like to understand a bit more on the requirements and how we can better address them in future SSMC releases.

Thanks

Usman Kidwai

UsmanKidwai

Hi Big-Al,

Thank you for your feedback, it is our intention to provide our customers with a manageability interface that provide simplicity and ease of use at the same time providing them the features that will help manage their 3PAR environments better.

Would it be possible for you to PM me your contact details on my twitter @yusmankidwai, i would like to connect live with you and understand whar are the areas that are concerning to you and how can we better address them in our future relases.

Thanks,
Usman Kidwai.

B_Davis

IHAC who noticed that multi-volume creation doesn't let you specify the next increment from the SSMC GUI (Version 2.2). Example: Create Volume "ABC_Test" 10x's starting at ".12". When you need 5 more volumes with the same name sequence it freaks. Example: "ABC_Test.22" ....... "ABC_Test.22.6" 

What they'd like to see is the following: 

"ABC_Test.22" ...... "ABC_Test.26" 

UsmanKidwai

Hi B_Davis,

Have you tried this with SSMC 2.3?

Can you email me the screen catpures of the issues your customer is seeing? send them on Usman.Kidwai@hpe.com

Thanks.
--Usman