Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your guide to storage at Discover London

HPEStorageGuy

With our "new" event, around the corner, I wanted to give you my take on getting the most out of HPE Discover London. In this post, I'll help you find your way around the new Transformation Zone, point you to what I think are some key sessions, and also let you know how you can stay connected even if you're not coming to London. I'm also attaching our Storage eAgenda. Much of the information below is from the eAgenda but there's a lot more detail that I can't include here, so check that out.

Storage is the Key(note)

HPE Storage at Discover London.jpgManish Goel seamlessly transitioned to lead HPE Storage and the storage keynote six months ago in Vegas. I have high expectations on what we'll hear from Manish now that he's a seasoned HPE Storage veteran. And it doesn't hurt that we've taken the number 1 mid-range SAN and #2 all-flash (by market share) since Manish joined. The title of Manish's session is: The end of storage as you know it; new innovations from all-flash to software-defined (SL7341) and it will be on Wednesday (December 2) at 12:00-13:00 GMT. This will also be live-streamed though it will very early for those in the U.S time zones. I'll give URLS for the live streams toward the end of this post.

Key Sessions

I tend to be too busy to attend many of the sessions but here's the list of what I want to attend if my schedule allows me to:

Tuesday, 1 December

• Get ready for the All-Flash data center; HPE 3PAR StoreServ today and tomorrow (BB6817); 12:00 GMT with Vish Mulchand, Director of Product Management and Marketing.
  • Stories from the trenches; ask real customers about their data protection transformation (T6801); 12:30 GMT. Patrick Osborne, Director of Product Management and Marketing on our BURA team will host.
  • Customer panel; hyper-converged and software-defined (PNL6811); 16:30 GMT. This session is hosted by Kate Davis (frequent blogger on ATSB) and Mark Peters, Sr. Analyst from ESG.

Wednesday, 2 December 

• Revolutionizing software-defined and hyper-converged (BB6806); 9:00 GMT. Kate Davis is joined by Rob Strechay, Director of Product Management and Marketing for Software-Defined, Hyper-Converged and Management.
  • Customer panel; say “no” to disk; hear how customers use HPE 3PAR StoreServ for flash benefits now (PNL6819); 2 Dec 10:00 GMT with Beth Joseph, the manager of the 3PAR product marketing team.
  • Protecting application SLAs; technical deep dive on database and hypervisor-integrated protection (TB6793); 10:30 GMT. Srik Venkata Seshu, BURA solutions manager, hosts.
  • Like unified storage? Love HPE 3PAR StoreServ converged file and block for SAP HANA, VDI and more (T6822); 10:30 GMT.
  • Dig into the fastest-growing and most resilient flash platform on the planet, HPE 3PAR StoreServ (TB6818); 16:30 GMT. This is hosted by the two guys I go to when I need to understand technical details on 3PAR: Ivan Iannaccone and Siamak Nazari.

Thursday, 3 December

• Backup is dead, long live copy management and converged protection; exploring next-gen technologies (BB6792); 9:30 GMT. Another session with Patrick Osborne.
  • Discover end-to-end application availability and protection for HPE 3PAR StoreServ flash storage (TB6821); 12:30 GMT.
  • Cut through the hype in hyper-converged in thirty minutes or less (T6810); 13:30 GMT. Another session with Kate Davis and Rob Strechay.
  • Think inside the box; from zero to hyper-converged in 15 minutes (TB6808); 14:00 GMT.

There are a number of other storage sessions and you can find all of them in the session catalog or the attached eAgenda.

Transformation Zone

The main show floor was previously called the Discover Zone. With the strategy that Meg has discussed, HPE is focused on four solution areas:

• Transform to Hybrid Infrastructure
  • Protect your Digital Enterprise
  • Empower the Data Driven Enterprise
  • Enable Workplace Productivity

With this focus, the show floor has a new name: the Transformation Zone. And the Transformation Zone is organized are these areas of focus. Here's a high level map of the Transformation Zone.

transformation zone.png

Be sure to download the event app and it will help you to navigate the demos in the Transformation Zone. In fact, the app includes an interactive map that can lead you on self-guided tours or help you find the specific demos you're looking for.

No Limits Game

You like to play games (and win stuff) and we like hosting games! To play the game, go to bit.ly/discoverpromotion. The website will list two sessions a day where you can get the day's keyword. Then go to demo 1434 to see if you win. 

The Cube

The Cube, a collaboration between Wikibon and Siliconangle, brings its traveling live interview show back to HPE Discover. I was the last interview the Cube ever did at HP Discover in Vegas. They haven't asked me back to be the first interview at HPE Discover but I'll see if I can photo bomb the first interview.

The Cube will be live during the three days of Discover. Most of the storage interviews are on Wednesday. Look at the Siliconangle.tv website to see everything, but if you want to catch the storage highlights, Wednesday starting at 16:30 GMT is the time to tune in. 

Party on!

One of the things I look forward to is our customer appreciation party. This year, the party is Tuesday (1 December) starting at 21:00 GMT at Chinawhite - 4 Winsley Street, London W1W 8HF. To get your VIP wristband head over to booth 7158 or attend the Composable Infrastructure Spotlight Session (SL7369) on Tuesday (1 Dec) at 16:30 GMT.

Tune in from afar

You'll be able to watch all of the keynotes, innovation theater sessions, and main stage sessions live. Head over to hpe.com/Discover to watch. You won't see the livestream player there until about a week before Discover but it is home to a lot of event information so I highly recommend it. I will also post a blog as Discover gets underway that will have an embedded video player to make it even easier for you to watch. 

About the AuthorvExpert 5 years.png

CJZ Headshot fixed 150 x 150.jpg

I'm Calvin Zito, a 32 year veteran in the IT industry and have worked in storage for 25 years. I have been a VMware vExpert for 5 years. As an early adopter of social media and active in communities, I've blogged for 7 years. I started my "social persona" as HPStorageGuy but with the HP separation, you can find me on Twitter as @CalvinZito. You can also contact me via email.

0 Kudos
About the Author

HPEStorageGuy

I have worked at HP and now HPE since 1983, all of it around storage but 100% focused on storage since 1990. I blog, create videos, and podcasts to help you better understand HPE Storage.

Labels
Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more