Array Performance and Data Protection
1748181 Members
3333 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Any options for encrypting replication data?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Wilkins_1

Any options for encrypting replication data?

I am interested in encrypting the replication data in order to protect it in transit. Anyone have ideas for accomplishing this?

5 REPLIES 5
ajay59
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris,

VPN encryption seems to be a common solution for protecting replication traffic.

Chris Wilkins_1

We are planning to create a VPN tunnel between our primary and secondary Nimble units. I was hoping to hear the approach taken by other Nimble customers.

franku72

Hi Chris,

We use OpenVPN for tunneling: It's fast, free and relatively easy to setup. Currently we are also using dark fiber to a remote location.

You could probably also use VLAN's if your data stays locally ?

Regards,

Frank Uittenbosch

Not applicable

We are using an IPsec vpn tunnel between our Palo Alto Firewalls and replicating traffic across it.

benwatson87
Valued Contributor
Solution

Our customers almost all use external [to the array] VPN-encryption, which I'd say is probably the best/easiest way to do this if required. Encrypting packets for replication is a fairly arduous process, and although some platforms offer this I'd rather my storage array handles I/O particularly when there are viable alternatives.

However, once the initial replication is complete (perhaps using a local replica for the bulk transfer of data), is there actually any need to encrypt replicated deltas? Thinking about it, we're replicating compressed, changed blocks only from a custom-designed/implemented filesystem. One for the Nimble engineering team perhaps...