108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cache Churn - infosight charts

SOLVED
Go to solution
jayst136
Advisor

Cache Churn - infosight charts

I'm really trying to understand the Cache Churn charts.

i'm looking at a chart which has been split by volume. The volume with the highest cache churn has 50% cache churn for small IO during business hours. The same volume has 71% cache churn for large IO during business hours. How should i interpret those charts?

The resource utilization chart confuses me a little as well, it shows 5% cache usage, but 5% of what actually? 

4 REPLIES 4
chris24
Respected Contributor
Solution

Firstly the volume with high large and small IO means that it is your busiest volume and responsible for most of the blocks in cache - it's probably a catch all data-store used by a host of machines, consider splitting up up the machines into separate volumes to give you a clearer idea of which volumes (VM's) are hitting your cache the hardest.

Cache utilization basically refers to "The amount of cache required/The amount of cache installed" - if you are at 5% it means you are using 5% of the total cache - i.e. you have a long way to go to utilizing your full 100% cache and have to consider buying more.

jayst136
Advisor

thanks for the answer, makes it clear enough for me now!

jayst136
Advisor

Looking again at the resource utilization chart, it has updated itself with new data and now shows 105% cache usage.
How should i interpret >100% cache usage ?

jayst136
Advisor

ok the resources utilization chart now displays 72% for the cache, not at a new data point but at the same datapoint where 105% was displayed previously.

We'll see how it goes from here.