108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Defrag for Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V CSV volume

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Baddorf
Advisor

Defrag for Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V CSV volume

My Nimble customers have Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) and run Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V VM's on those CSV's.  My question is should I run Windows Defrag on the VM's?  And should I run Windows Defrag on the CSV volumes?  Running a defrag analyze on a CSV volume can be done (see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2014/01/02/10486462.aspx) but I am not seeing the output that I've been accustomed to - I don't see a message about "you should/shouldn't defragment this volume" but rather just see messages about Slab Consolidation.  Apparently Windows defrag works differently when the volume is thinly provisioned.  But I can't seem to find very clear information on the best practices of defragrmenting a CSV volume which is thin provisioned.  Which leads me to my above questions:  Should I run defrag at the VM level?  And should I run it on the CSV volume?

I appreciate any insight that anyone has to offer...

Thanks!  Dave

4 REPLIES 4
Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Dave,

Wherever possible it's advisable NOT to run any defragmentation tools on a Nimble Storage platform. The CASL architecture has a built in defrag tool as part of it's garbage collection process (called sweeping) and is an always-on process running in the background of the file system; running a host-side defrag tool will merely change the layout of the blocks within the CASL architecture, leading to potentially worse performance overall.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
Dave Baddorf
Advisor

Thanks for your response, Nick!  I just have one clarification on your response:  When you said that you shouldn't run a Defrag on a Nimble Storage platform I'm assuming that you mean you shouldn't run Defrag on a Windows Hyper-V Host using the Nimble SAN as a Clustered Shared Volume (CSV).  But does your recommendation also include not running a Defrag within the Windows VM's running on the Hyper-V Host?  In other words, do you recommend not running Defrag on either the host nor the VM's?  Thanks for your help!

Dave

Dave Baddorf
Advisor

Does anyone have any comment on whether it is a good idea to defrag a Windows VM when running the guest on a Hypervisor which is storing the VM's on a Nimble SAN?  I realize that I don't want to run defrag on a Windows Host, but how about within a VM?

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

It is not recommended to run host-side defrag on any operating system, physical or virtual.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_