Array Performance and Data Protection
1752772 Members
4929 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Deploying SAS 9.3 Data Analytics - Performance Policy Recommendations for Data Warehouse Volume?

SOLVED
Go to solution
thoule26
Occasional Contributor

Deploying SAS 9.3 Data Analytics - Performance Policy Recommendations for Data Warehouse Volume?

The volume in question will be a stand-alone volume within Nimble.  Within Windows, we'll format it with an allocation unit size of 64K since it will primarily be doing large sequential reads.  However, not sure what performance policy to apply to this volume within Nimble.  Anyone with experience with this who can lend a hand?

1 REPLY 1
alex_goltz
Advisor
Solution

Re: Deploying SAS 9.3 Data Analytics - Performance Policy Recommendations for Data Warehouse Volume?

Based on this SAS KB 51659, (from a past life), your key line in "SAS World" is pagesize:  (Much like MS SQL)

• -pagesize
    Specifies the size of the page for I/O operation (for example, 8k, 64k, 128k). See the note on -pagesize below. If –pagesize is not specified the default is 8k.

So basically it's 8K, unless someone is changing it. (I wouldn't.) Which equates to SQL 2012 Data.  (8K, Compression On, Cache On)

Remember, if you're doing an RDM or VMDK, don't bother with block sizes outside of 4K.

If you present a volume via Windows iSCSI Initiator, then you can leverage the 8K block size.

I'm pretty sure that's what you need. If anyone else has learned different, please let me know.