4437 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Estimated down time for NimbleOS upgrade from 3.7.0

SOLVED
Go to solution
Smcdonough

Estimated down time for NimbleOS upgrade from 3.7.0

I've got a Nimble Storage unit (HPE NS CS1000 Hybrid Base Array) that I wanted to check on some of the performace aspects. Since the network isn't connected to the internet, it hasn't been updated since it got put into place and still uses the Flash based monitors and widgets.

How much downtime am I looking at (estimated) to do an update to the latest and greatest OS from 3.7.0 to 5.2.1?

2 REPLIES 2
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

Downtime ???

None!!

The Nimble Storage array is an active / standby system. One controller is running, the other is getting updated. There is a short IO pause where IOs will take longer than typical. If you have the Nimble Connection Manager installed, then the multipathing timers are already set for iSCSI timeouts. However, I  believe the standard iSCSI timeout settings are already sufficient.

The entire process will take a while. Looking at the NimbleOS 5.2.1.700 Release Notes, you need to first download and update NimbleOS 5.0.10. Once that is done, you download and update 5.2.1.700.

The system will do a System Check before starting the 5.0.10 update; if there are any issues, contact Nimble Support and get them resolved. I'd say "get them resolved first", but the update process won't even start if there are any issues.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Smcdonough

I will schedule a weekend update as appropriate and anticipate no downtime for my change controls. Thank you!