108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Exchange 2010

SOLVED
Go to solution
klowe78

Exchange 2010

Hello,

We currently have an Exchange 2010 on-premises on a physical server. I recently created 2 volumes (data/logs) on out nimble and connected over iSCSI to our Exchange box. The drives are working great. What I need help with is getting the logs on the new drive truncated when we take a snapshot of the database drive. 

I've tried this:

Nimble OS Part 11: Exchange Snapshot Log Truncation / Verification , but no go. When I try to force a snapshot i get the following error:

Message: Failed to snapshot volumes associated with volume collection MY-VOLUME schedule SCHEDULE-Daily, Invalid response status: 4. VSS snapshot creation failed. Error: Protection set does not contain all the volumes required to take application consistent snapshot. Check the protection set configuration.

Help!

Thanks,

Kevin

4 REPLIES 4
dgonzalez59
HPE Blogger

Hello Kevin,

Have you followed the steps required to set up application consistent (VSS) snapshots? You will need to have the Nimble Windows toolkit installed on the Exchange Server, and both volumes must be in a volume collection, with the Exchange server  information populated in the Application Server setting. As you are not running a DAG, you would select Exchange Server as your application, and you must make sure that verification is selected for the Exchange database. Truncation will occur after verification.

Dianne

klowe78

Hey Dianne,

Are there more steps to setting up VSS other than whats in the guide I posted above?

Kevin

dgonzalez59
HPE Blogger
Solution

Hello Kevin,

The Nimble Connect blog post covers how to set up a volume collection for a DAG environment, but for a complete guide to our Exchange setup, refer to the Deployment Considerations Guide for Exchange, available on Infosight.

A summary of the steps you will need to follow (I am skipping steps for LUN connectivity, focusing on the application integration):

1- Install NWT on the Exchange host. 

2- Configure the Volume Collection on the array. All volumes must be part of the protection set.

3- Verify the volume collection.

4- If verification is successful, create a Snapshot collection (execute a snapshot of the volume collection), or wait until the volume collection schedule executes. 

The error you are receiving is indicative of either a problem with your volume collection setup, or Exchange database and log files are not on the volumes specified in the volume collection, causing VSS to error out.

Dianne

klowe78

Yay! It works!

Thank you!