4596 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Failure to Quiesce Virtual Machine error

jag880
Occasional Advisor

Failure to Quiesce Virtual Machine error

Hi there.

We have an AF40 setup as our production unit with daily scheduled snapshots. However we are reciving the following error on a nightly basis.

Failed to create vCenter snapshot associated with volume collection VCollection01 schedule Schedule-new for virtual machine Cruncher2 due to failure to quiesce the virtual machine. See vSphere Client to get details on the failure of the snapshot task for this VM.

We have 4 Volumes setup and oriringally had all of the volumens within on Voume Collection to be snapshotted. I have tried breaking up the volumes to multiple collections to be snapshot in a staggered way to see if that would lighten the load and help. Regardless the first volume collection to be snapshot always throughs this error. It is always for a single VM but not alwasy the same VM. I've tried rotating the volumes between being the first one to be snapshot but still receive the error. I can provide more info if needed but was curious if anyone else has experience with this. The majority of our VMs run SQL databases in some form or fashion. Can provide more info if needed. Any help is greatyly appriciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Seenivasan-XP
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jag880,

Kindly log a support case on this.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Seenivasan-XP

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************
jag880
Occasional Advisor

Did that before coming on here. Support wasn't really able to help me. Came on here in hopes maybe others had encounter the issue and had insight to a possible solution.

jag880

Seenivasan-XP
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jag8080,

One of the issues with this type of behavior is Windows volume shadow copy services. In other cases it's related to heavy I/O to snapshoted VM and VMTools versions. In your case since the behavior it's across different VMs it's probably related to volume shadow copy services. 

What you need to do is 

1) Ope the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Disk Management
2) right-click the drive.
3) Select Properties
4) Select the Shadow Copies
5) Select each volume select Disable and Delete any copies

Hope this helps!
Regards
Seenivasan-XP

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************