108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Get-SpbmReplicationGroup doesn't return Nimble info

SOLVED
Go to solution
k_erik
Advisor

We are already using powerCLI for vasa3 on 3PAR so will use that for our Nimble arrays as well to keep things simple.

I haven't really thought about the API earlier. The reason we went for powerCLI was that HPE published an example script and we built on that for simplicity.
By using the API we could avoid the dependancy on powerCLI, but most of our technicians are comfortable in powerCLI and only a few in the API so we will stay with powerCLI unless we hit something which has to be resolved in the API.

mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

Thank you for the feedback, k_erik.

HPE Nimble Storage
mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

An additional resource from docs: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=a00044881enw but does not yet have the 2 vasa3 config steps.

HPE Nimble Storage
k_erik
Advisor

Thanks. Do many customers use the vasa3 setup for replication?

The documentation for the Nimble vCenter plugin clearly states that is not supposed to be used as DR. I logged a feature request earlier, IDEA-426, for some desired tweaks to make it a step closer.
The plugin is not as feature rich as vasa3 with powerCLI, but it is much more user friendly and I would happily sacrifice the posibility to reverse the replication automatically if it meant a more user friendly daily operations and fail over.

We had to rewrite part of the original SPBM DR script because part of it used about 1 secound pr VM in vCenter even if the VMs were not part of what we were going to fail over. With more than 3000 VMs in our main vCenter I did not want to be in a DR scenario and wait an hour for the script just to scan through the VMs.

mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

> Thanks. Do many customers use the vasa3 setup for replication?

We would have to do some digging in InfoSight to get this data.  Hopefully VMware will integrate this into SRM soon.

HPE Nimble Storage