108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Nimble 5.3.1 Snapshot Reserve

SOLVED
Go to solution
NOS205
Advisor

Nimble 5.3.1 Snapshot Reserve

I understand the Snapshot reserve space is within volume. How much of the volume space is reserved for snapshots and can you modify this reserve space? 

If snapshots used up all the reserve space can it potentially use up all the volume space? 

4 REPLIES 4
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Nimble 5.3.1 Snapshot Reserve

Hmm. Don't recall hearing about snapshot reserve space. I suspect you are getting a couple terms tangled.

Volume Reserve is guaranteed physical space that is reserved for a volume. A volume is ensured it has that much physical space. The data within is still subject to compression and deduplication according to the volume's settings. A volume reserve of 10 GB may be able to store far more than the actual 10 GB space if it were uncompressed.

Typically this is not changed and volumes are thinly provisioned.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

NOS205
Advisor

Hi, thanks for the response.

When I look at volume space usage with protection enabled, I see a Snapshot usage figure. Was wondering where this Snapshot capacity resides. I assume its part of the volume usage and was wondering if you could control how much capacity snapshots use. Basically, I don't want my volume running out of space because snapshots have filled it up..

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

All of the storage, the parent volume and its snapshots, are from the system's storage pool, typically named "default".

The Nimble GUI Dashboard will show the current capacity. If the Nimble system is reporting back to HPE Nimble Support, you should see capacity trends for the system in InfoSight, including any estimation of when the capacity may be filled.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

NOS205
Advisor

Thanks for the clarification.