1748041 Members
4954 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Nimble Snapshot Size

nimuser

Nimble Snapshot Size

Hi,

I am looking to find size of each snapshot of a volume and also understand how the size of each snapshot is determined? I was sent info like the following, I am trying to understand what the total size of the each snapshot is and how much of a physical space is being occupied by each.

--------------------+--------------------+----------+------+-------+------------

Volume               Snapshot             Size       Online Status  New Data

Name                 Name                 (MiB)                     (MiB)

--------------------+--------------------+----------+------+-------+------------

A       AdhocSnap              2306867 No     Okay          7317

A      A1-2020-10-15::18:00:21.642    2306867 No     Okay         27372

A       A1-2020-10-14::18:00:22.631    2306867 No     Okay         37534

A       A1-2020-10-13::18:00:29.959    2306867 No     Okay        560692

3 REPLIES 3
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Nimble Snapshot Size

Have you read the chapter on Snapshots in the Nimble Administration Guide? Available at InfoSight.

After that, look at the Command Reference, starting with the snap command.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

nimuser

Hello Sheldon,

Thank you for your response. I do not have access to InfoSight, I registered there but my email is not linked to my org's Nimble.  Can that be shared with me?

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Hello

the right way to get access to the Nimble docs are through Infosight. Please give Nimble Support a quick call and they can resolve this for you.

Phone numbers: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00050207enw

Referring more to your question - Nimble snapshots are redirect on write rather than full copies of your data (ie copy on write). This means that a snapshot is just a metadata file with pointer references to blocks on your array. A Nimble block on your array can be pointed to by many snapshots, but none of those snapshots actually 'own' the data - in esscence not duplicating the data behind the scenes, but also meaning that the size of the snapshot is fluid.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_