Array Performance and Data Protection
1752777 Members
6269 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Nimble VVol VM Storage Policy with replication Requested operation is not supported

SOLVED
Go to solution
mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger
Solution

Re: Nimble VVol VM Storage Policy with replication Requested operation is not supported

>  It shows up compatible now after I changed both replication frequency and snapshots to retain on replica to more than 0.  I thought I tried that combination before.
Good, thanks for confirming that.   I guess the original problem reported on this post is resolved then!

With this config of vvol, there is some amount of DR built into vCenter plugin. e.g. delete a VM on the upstream.  it can be undeleted for next 72 hrs.  or you can recover on the downstream.  no manual steps like unmount datastore etc. needed. 

To do real DR, you can configure SRM with vvols.  this is a 3-part blog series I had written - hope you find them useful. Try it when you get a chance, and maybe post a new topic when you have questions about this.

HPE Nimble Storage
jchen522
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the info!!!

I tested deleting a VM and try to recover it.  Using vCenter plugin, I can recover the VM locally, but I get an error message if I try to claim the replicated VM downstream.  It says "Failed to claim VM XXXXXXX.  Unable to find a valid host system."  What is the cause of this error message?

Also, I found couple PowerCLI article and script to test failover.  When I execute "Get-SpbmReplicationGroup -vm XXXXXXX", it returns nothing every though I have VM storage policy with replication configured assigned to the VVol volume that the VM resides on.  What could be the cause of this?

mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

Can you please start a new discussion topic?  I think your original topic is resolved, and this can become a confusing discussion thread.

HPE Nimble Storage