4817 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Nimble storage volumes

SOLVED
Go to solution
buchheitadmin64

Nimble storage volumes

Nimble volume is showing full. I have it set to 1TB in size. It has only used 497.83GB. The volume reserve and the space savings is taking up the rest. How do I change this so I can us my storage?

6 REPLIES 6
Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Hi Scot,

If you have only used 497Gb within the UI, then that's all you have used. The space savings are showing you how much space you have saved within the volume.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
buchheitadmin64

When I have that volume mapped on a computer it is showing that the drive is full. My other volume don't have that much space for reserve and they are setup the same way.

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor
Solution

That's because your computer/host cannot understand or represent the space saving from compression that the array is doing.

eg: if you create a 1TB volume on the array, mount to Windows, copy 1TB of data, Windows will think it has 1TB used (and a full volume) whereas the array may have reduced the space down to 700GB.

The answer here is to resize the volume on the array and in Windows.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
buchheitadmin64

Thanks for your help

qtaher
Occasional Visitor

The question is, is it possible to make windows understand and realize the actual volume size? In my case also from Nimble UI I can see one my volume is 1.2TB used whereas windows is shows my D drive (which is that volume in Nimble) is almost full for 4TB drive. 

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

@qtaher wrote:

The question is, is it possible to make windows understand and realize the actual volume size? In my case also from Nimble UI I can see one my volume is 1.2TB used whereas windows is shows my D drive (which is that volume in Nimble) is almost full for 4TB drive. 

From what you wrote, Windows does realize the actual volume size: 4TB, most of which, from Windows' point of view, is full. The fact that Nimble reports only 1.2 TB is used shows how well the compression and deduplication are working.

Grow the Nimble volume, then in Windows extend the partition.
Or, make a new volume (E:) and present that to Windows.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo