4207 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Reclaiming Space in Windows 2012 R2 Std. Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
rnix35

Reclaiming Space in Windows 2012 R2 Std. Server

I have a CS220 and I noticed recently that one of my iSCSI volumes is not releasing my space when I delete files on the volume.  I am running version 1.4.11 on my Nimble and the windows server is a 2012 R2 std server.  The Nimble volume shows me over 90% full at 1.39tb but on my Windows server it shows I have 58gb used on the volume.   I thought Windows 2012 had Trim on by default but it doesn't seem to be doing it.  I was also told it could be my application running on the server but the application tech support said "No, it works only with the O/S so it has to be the O/S.

Any ideas how to regain my space back on my Nimble?

5 REPLIES 5
Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Re: Reclaiming Space in Windows 2012 R2 Std. Server

Hi Randy, I believe you're referring to SCSI UNMAP which was released in the product in 1.4, so should certainly work.

Some questions:

1. Are you mapping the volume directly to the Windows server (ie not through a VMware VMFS layer, for example?)

2. Are you using the Microsoft iSCSI Initiator?

3. Have you tried creating another volume, filling it up with random data, then deleting it again to see if it works on that volume?

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
katusavage119
Advisor

Hello Randy,

I'm just wondering if you got your questions answered. If you did, it would be helpful to the community if you could let us know what worked. That way if others had the same question, we could point them here to your solution.

Thank you for being part of the NimbleConnect community!

Cheers,

Kat Usavage

jliu79
Frequent Advisor

I want to know the answer too. I deleted quite some files on my server and it doesn't look like Nimble can see the difference. It still shows the same volume usage. How can I reclaim the space?

jliu79
Frequent Advisor
Solution

I did some search in the forum and found the solution. My server is Win2k8 R2 so it has to be done manually.

Reclaim space quickly (sdelete alternative)

katusavage119
Advisor

Great, thanks for updating this.

Cheers,

Kat