1753940 Members
9251 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Reclaiming diskspace with VMware vSphere

RLemmens
Occasional Contributor

Reclaiming diskspace with VMware vSphere

I moved a VM to another datastore to free up some space on the HPE Nimble. Then I followed a procedure to reclaim the space.

Logged on to a host with ssh and executed the command esxcli storage vmfs unmap -l <volume name>

That worked fine on the online volume, but not on the replica on our other Nimble. 

3 REPLIES 3
AnilThakurHPE
Occasional Advisor

Hi ,

Reclaim is  little slow  in comparison to other process .

Replica volume will reflect the same size , as the primary one , once both are in  kind of sync  with next  schedule transfer.

So if replications are through and completing successfully , just compare the actual data size on both  irrespective of snapshots and other retention objects .

Regards,

HPE

I am a HPE Employee
RLemmens
Occasional Contributor

That is not the case, we use a-synchrone replication. The umap on the online volume, took about 3 or 4 hours.

The primairy volume is almost completely free 0,7% used. The replication volume is still using over 80% of a 10 TiB volume. There was a file server VM on this volume and was using a lot of data. Last friday I moved it to another datastore on an other storage device. I also stopped the data protection process on friday and removed all snapshots on the primairy and replication volume. 

AnilThakurHPE
Occasional Advisor

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply .

If you have some kind of contract with Nimble HPE, kindly call -1-800-633-3600,  and  log a case with product serial number .

We will setup a remote virtual room and take a deeper look at the issue  and then we will be in best position to  address your concern.

Regards,

HPE Storage Support

I am a HPE Employee