New Discussion

Re: Securely erase a Nimble Storage

SOLVED
Go to solution
MarcusVollmer
Visitor

Securely erase a Nimble Storage

Hello Team!

A Customer want's to Return his Nimble HF40, after a Proof of Concept. He wants to assure, that no Data ca be recoverd from the Disks and SSDs.

Ist it possible to do a "Secure Erase" with the Standards US DoD 5220.22-M E and US DoD 5220.22-M ECE, at least on the Storage?

9 REPLIES 9
Thomas_Lam_HK
HPE Pro
Solution

Yes, we do provide array sanitization process which comply to DoD 5220.22-M standard but requires support involvement.

Or you can login InfoSight, Nimble, Document and search for keyword "Sanitization", there is a document over there with much details.

Thomas Lam - Global Storage Field CTO

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
SprinkleJames
Valued Contributor

Hi @Thomas_Lam_HK,

Searching "Sanitization" on InfoSight, I'm not finding any such document. Has it been removed, or access restricted?

SprinkleJames
Valued Contributor

Disregard. There was apparently a permissions issue preventing me from accessing that particular document when using my reseller partner account. I worked with the InfoSight support folks, and we got it straightened out.

my2hands
Occasional Visitor

Hey Sprinkle James

Im trying to sanitize my nimble storage device to get it back to factory settings. I to tried searching for Sanitization in infosight with no luck. Did you have any information on the sanitization process after completing it that you could share with me or maybe the documentation itself for me to follow to try it? 

my2hands
Occasional Visitor

Thomas,

Looking to sanitize an aquired nimble storage device. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful. I dont have a nimble account to login to infosight nible documentation.

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Hello,

It depends on the version of NimbleOS the array is running. If it's on an OS which is earlier than NimbleOS 5.0.3.x, Nimble Support have to be involved in order to run the sanitisation process.

If above NimbleOS 5.0.3.x, it can be done manually by connecting via serial connection to both controllers, and selecting "Nimble Array Appliance Sanitization Boot" in the boot menu.

HOWEVER, Nimble Support will still need to issue you with a key to proceed with the sanitisation. This is to stop unlawful wiping of a customer's array.

The process typically takes 24 hours. Once complete, the system is sanitised and data is securely erased.

NOTE: this process does not reset the system back to factory default, and if you're wanting to re-deploy the array as new (which is what I suspect) then the USB re-image process will also need to be followed. This, again, needs Nimble Support involvement to obtain the NimbleOS factory image.

It's also a little odd that you posted twice in quick succession - one where you say you want to sanitise an array you have, and also have an Infosight account but you can't see the KB article, and then another where you say you've just acquired an array and you don't have an account?

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

@Nick_Dyer wrote:

If above NimbleOS 5.0.3.x, ... connecting via serial connection to both controllers, ...

Both controllers? Not just the active one?

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Correct.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
tilt
Occasional Advisor

Hey Nick, if you remove and destory the usb from both controllers and erase the drives with a 3rd party program i would have to imagine the unit is factory reset correct? There wouldnt be any settings that are stored onboard such as the network port settings or any  other type of settings, logs, data ect, correct? The only other thing that i could imagine needing to be reset is the bios but it is password protected. Not sure if there are any settings on there that could contain some kind of setting or data.