Array Performance and Data Protection
1752278 Members
4943 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Snapshot clones - one is read only, another is not?

SOLVED
Go to solution
nick090971

Snapshot clones - one is read only, another is not?

I have two physical Windows 2012 servers with data drives that are getting snapshots. One is just a file server and does not use any snapshot synchronization. The other is a SQL server that does synchronize.

• If I go to the volume on the file server, select a snapshot, clone it and then mount it I can read and write to that volume.
  • If I do the same on the SQL server, select one of its snapshots, clone it and mount it, the volume is mounted read-only.

Is this expected? Why is the SQL volume read only when the file server volume is r/w but I follow the same steps cloning the snapshot? Is there a way to see in the Nimble interface if a volume is read-only, or is this flag on the OS level somewhere? I would really like to be able to mount the SQL volumes with r/w so we can use them as dev instances of the data if needed.

2 REPLIES 2
chris24
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hello this is due to the OS, to clear the flag read only flags from the volume / disk.

diskpart

list disk

select disk x

attributes disk clear readonly

select volume x

detail volume

attributes volume clear readonly

attributes volume clear hidden

attributes volume clear shadowcopy

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

You can also use the new mounting tools within Nimble Windows Toolkit 2.3 to assist with the re-signaturing and clearing of read only within Diskpart should you want to. Here's Julian Cates's blog on the feature: Nimble OS 2.3 - Restore Workflow Automation for Snapshots

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_