1752590 Members
4173 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VVol Failover

jchen522
Frequent Advisor

VVol Failover

What is the correct way to failover VVol without using SRM? I would like to test to what extend the vCenter Nimble plugin assist with failover.

I tested deleting a VM and try to recover it. Using vCenter plugin, I can recover the VM locally, but I get an error message if I try to claim the replicated VM downstream. It says "Failed to claim VM XXXXXXX. Unable to find a valid host system." What is the cause of this error message?

Also, I found couple PowerCLI article and script to test failover. When I execute "Get-SpbmReplicationGroup -vm XXXXXXX", it returns nothing every though I have VM storage policy with replication configured assigned to the VVol volume that the VM resides on. What could be the cause of this?

2 REPLIES 2
mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

(1) For full DR capabilities with vVol VMs, either use SRM or the PowerCLI equivalents of actions that SRM performs.

(2) For the limited DR that Nimble vCenter Plugin offers with vVol VMs, make sure the replication line of service is not selected.  i.e. in the VM Storage Profile, under NimbleStorage rules, "Replication" tab, make sure it says "Disabled".  Under "Placement" tab, configure everything as usual - select the correct downstream partner, frequency, etc.

The difference between (1) and (2) is that "Replication" tab setting.  Can you confirm which way do you have it set, for this test?

HPE Nimble Storage
mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

Please read from this section onwards "Using Replication Partner VMs with the vCenter Plugin Dashboard" on pg. 98 of the VMware Integration guide https://infosight.hpe.com/InfoSight/media/cms/active/public/pubs_VMware_Integration_Guide_6_0_x.pdf

HPE Nimble Storage