108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Vmware Change Block Tracking (CBT) and nimble snapshots

SOLVED
Go to solution
jtmoree23
Advisor

Vmware Change Block Tracking (CBT) and nimble snapshots

Does anyone have experience with restores of virtual machines from nimble snapshots where the machines are using Change Block Tracking (CBT)?  My concern is that the CBT/ctk files will cause issues when trying to add to inventory and turn on the restored copy.

I have tried to use Vmware Data Protection a few times but it makes such a mess that I keep giving up on it.  In addition to quiesce and vmware snaps it also uses CBT.  All of those items are then snapped by the nimble (if they work).   I find that it will get stuck and leave vm snapshots hanging around.   I then have to manually cleanup tons of vmware snaps after every run.

Any other experiences people have with CBT and concurrent snap technologies could be useful in my own setup. 

Thank you,

1 REPLY 1
jzygmunt70
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Vmware Change Block Tracking (CBT) and nimble snapshots

I've brought VMDK files online from a nimble snapshot where the original VM was using CBT and never had a problem with CBT being broken in the source VM or in the destination VM.  My guess would be CBT got  automatically requested to be reinitialized on the destination VM by my backup app (veeam) the next time it got backed up.