Array Setup and Networking
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding another nimble to a existing group - Same iscsi data subnet?

Highlighted
Koobster
Occasional Contributor

Adding another nimble to a existing group - Same iscsi data subnet?

I will be getting a 2nd nimble array and adding it to the existing group from our first nimble. I know in terms of management it will be sharing the same management IP with the exception of the diagnostic IPs for controllers A & B.

But what about the iscsi data subnet? Do they typically share the same subnet as original nimble and we just assign static IPs on the new nimble ports? Or does the new nimble need a seperate subnet? Can someone also provide me a whitepaper/config guide where i can see the best pratice for this?

Im sure whoever they are sending out to help do the install/config can answer my question but id like to know in advance.

1 REPLY
Thomas_Lam_HK
Occasional Advisor

Re: Adding another nimble to a existing group - Same iscsi data subnet?

All arrays within the same group needs to have same IP subnet on both management and iSCSI data.

For management, the 2nd array will also use the existing Group management IP (typically the 1st array) as you mentioned, therefore only diagnostic IP on ctrlr A & B on 2nd array are required.

For iSCSI, same principle applies which the 2nd array will leverage the existing iSCSI discovery IP in the group, hence only new data IPs are needs to assign to each iSCSI data interface and therefore same subnet will be mandatory.

Please note that all host will need to have NCM properly installed!!

And with the correct iSCSI discovery IP being setup, any array side operation such as pool merge or volume move will then be transparent to both host and application and thus make the life much easier....

Thomas Lam
Field CTO - Storage