New Discussion юеВ

Re: Query: Backing up Nimble configuration to offsite

SOLVED
Go to solution
Santha1012
Occasional Contributor

Backing up Nimble configuration to offsite

Hi there,

We would like to save our Nimble configuration and store offsite. Reason for it is;  If our site has gone down or compromised, we can build a new Nimble quickly by applying the configuration. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
support_s
System Recommended

Query: Backing up Nimble configuration to offsite

System recommended content:

1. HPE OneView 6.5 User Guide for HPE Synergy | HPE Nimble Storage systems

2. HPE OneView 7.0 User Guide for HPE Synergy | HPE Nimble Storage systems

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi Santha1012

The array sends its configuration every night as part of the daily log bundles to support if you have a valid support contract

Am afraid to say that there is no direct functionality to save the configuration offline on site. The configuration of the controllers is saved in the storage itself, not in the controllers, so it is protected by the array's RAID.
Unlikely if there is any event where controllers fail to boot, there might be other issues rather than configuration files issues.
You would need to engage Nimble support in those situations.

Hope this helps.!!

Regards
Mahesh.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Santha1012
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for your time and the reply. Yes, we do have valid support for our Nimble systems and autosupport forwarded overnightly. So in the event of site disaster or in compramised state and if we have to build from scratch I will need to touch base with HPE support to get previous configuration. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks again

Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Hi Santha1012

Yes, that's correct. If both controllers are down and fail then you should engage support in order to bring it back online.

Regards
Mahesh

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Santha1012
Occasional Contributor

@Mahesh202 

Ok, if my site is comporamised and I want to build a new Nimble array using my old configuration. What would be the case?

I am writing some document for disaster recovery.

Thanks again

Mahesh202
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Santha1012

A new Nimble array cannot be built with an old configuration rather you can set the Disaster recovery setup for your array so that your data will be in sync.

Please find the below information and you would need to go through it to have a better understanding

Synchronous Replication:
A solution that uses LAN or WAN technologies to mirror data between sites, ensuring the existence of multiple copies of guaranteed up-to-date information. Synchronous replication provides protection from the array, environment, or site failures with no data loss because all I/O is mirrored across sites.

Peer Persistence:
Synchronous replication with the following features: 1. Automate the migration of the GL duties to the BGL. 2. To seamlessly switch the active path from one array to the other.

KB-000289 goes over in detail the following scenarios:

Scenario #1 - Anticipated Primary Outage or DR Test (example: Moving offices while construction is occurring at upstream site.)
Scenario #2 - Unexpected Primary Outage (example: Natural disaster submerges production site underwater.)
Scenario #3 тАУ DR Testing

Here's the reference link -https://infosight.hpe.com/InfoSight/media/kb/active/sup_KB-000289_Volume_Collection_DR_Recovery.whz/index.html

Hope this helps.!!

Regards
Mahesh

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

Santha1012
Occasional Contributor

@Mahesh202 

Thanks for sharing the links, Mahesh.

We aren't using mirroring at the array level but we have Oracle replication in place (the only data stored on Nimble arrays).

So we can't just apply the configuration from current array to new array.

Thanks