Array Setup and Networking
1753457 Members
4761 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CS220 with direct iSCSI connections to two ESXi hosts?

SOLVED
Go to solution
fishmn
Regular Advisor

CS220 with direct iSCSI connections to two ESXi hosts?

I found out today that Nimble does not support direct connections for iSCSI networking between ESXi hosts and the array. We have a couple HP DL380G8 hosts and the CS220. It is currently setup and functional but won't allow a software upgrade due to network issues. I'm unable vmkping the discovery IP on the array from the hosts yet the existing LUN.

Has anybody ever made a direct connect (no Ethernet switches in the middle) work or are we stuck with having to add the switches? It is a remote office with no IT people so a long trip may be required.

Thanks for any insight

Ron

2 REPLIES 2
BenLoveday
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: CS220 with direct iSCSI connections to two ESXi hosts?

Hi Ron,

This isn't a supported configuration - virtual IP floats across controllers so in your case not all vmkernel ports are going to see the VIP - I've had this same issue trying to direct connect hosts using HPE Storevirtual VSA.

When using iSCSI you will need at least a single switch. Fibre channel is the only way I've ever been able to direct attach storage to hosts but this was a different storage system with active/active controllers.

To be honest if you are investing a pair of DL380s and a CS220 at a remote site a pair of low-cost GbE switches would be a minor cost :-). Alternatively you could pull the CS220 back to a larger site or datacentre and go with a hyper-converged architecture that could help to reduce the remote site footprint.

Cheers,

Ben

fishmn
Regular Advisor

Re: CS220 with direct iSCSI connections to two ESXi hosts?

Thanks for the reply Ben. We were re-using some equipment from one small DC to another I had it in my mind that it should work just fine. I've always placed stacked switches between hosts and Nimbles in the past, just didn't know it was a hard requirement.  I just glad it is working as is until we can figure out how to get some switches up there.