108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Command Line Creating Volumes

SOLVED
Go to solution
vmw9
Frequent Advisor

Command Line Creating Volumes

what are the command lines to create a volume for 10, 10GB nimble volumes?

6 REPLIES 6
rwilliams72
Solution

Re: command line creating volumes

Hi Tony,

A basic one line script to create 10 volumes of 10GB each named vol1 тАУ vol10 use the following:

for i in {1..10};do vol --create vol-$i --size 10240;done

If you wanted to add more volumes (e.g vol00 тАУ vol29) use the following:

for i in {0..2}:do for h in {0..9};do vol --create vol-$i$h --size 10240;done;done

You could also add additional options such as --perfpolicy name,--initiatorgrp name and --multi_initiator yes aswell if you wanted to add performance policies, initiator groups etc to the volumes.

Thanks,
Rod.

alexbcu125
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rod -

Nice script and thank you.  How can I add different sizes for each volume?  ie: Volume1 = 10GB , Volume2 = 20GB I can't seem to get the below script to work:

for x in {F..G};do for y in {5..6};do vol --create T-AlexSQL-$x --size $y0 --perfpolicy default --initiatorgrp vmfs --multi_initiator yes;done;done

Thanks,

Alex

aherbert23
Trusted Contributor

Enclose $y in braces, e.g. ${y}0. Bash is interpreting the 0 as part of the variable name. But you're also going to have a problem that the volume names will conflict based on how your loop is constructed.

mattlavergne26

Great script.

do you know of any way to add more than one initiator group from cli when creating the vol?

mattlavergne26

I found I can add the second initiation with this script

do vol --addacl volname --initiatorgrp igname

but was unable to find any way to bake the second IG into the vol create command.

aherbert23
Trusted Contributor

That would be the way to do it. You can't add multiple IGs in the volume creation command.