How to Assign Support IP Address

implementing CS260. guide to assigning support IP address

5 REPLIES 5
rfenton4
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: how to assign support IP address

Hey Abraham,

When you use the Windows Toolkit or CLI to install the array - you will be prompted for the management IP address and the IP address for each controller (A and B).   Obviously both should be on a routable VLAN

Let us know if you have any more queries

Cheers
Rich

abraham31
Occasional Contributor

thanks Rich. Problem sorted

Kind regards

Abraham George Parel

rfenton4
Honored Contributor

Great stuff

abraham31
Occasional Contributor

Re: How to Assign Support IP Address

Hi Rich

kindly could you let me know if Nimble can work with Brocade VDX 6730 - switch - 16 ports - managed - rack-mountable. we have proposed a CS220G

Kind regards

Abraham George Parel – CEO

+27 761 052885 - <http://www.virtualworksafrica.com/> www.virtualworksafrica.com

rfenton4
Honored Contributor

Re: How to Assign Support IP Address

Hey Abraham,

We don't specifically have a support matrix for IP switches (unlike Fibre Channel where compatibility matrixes are essential).

We do specify some guidelines when selecting a switch.  That is available on the Networking Best Practices document which is available off InfoSight.

http://www.nimblestorage.com/docs/downloads/bpg_nimble_storage_networking.pdf

Generally though - you should look for these qualities in your switch:

• Non blocking backplane (ie, 16 ports at 1GbE Full duplex will be a back place support of 32Gigabits per second)
  • Support for Flow Control (802.3x)
  • Buffers per port (a minimum of 512K buffers per port)
  • Support for Jumbo Frames
  • Ability to Disable Unicast Storm Control

I personally haven't had too much experience with Brocade IP switches (that shouldn't be read a good or a bad thing!!) - hopefully someone can chime in on the thread to share their experience.  I have seen some internal chat we've had on them and they seem good switches (just ensure you have an appropriate number of ports licenses and use brocade cables - which based on my experience would good advice to apply to HP and Cisco too !!).

Hope this helps

Rich