7484 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to create logical units in SCVMM

SOLVED
Go to solution
hartj57

How to create logical units in SCVMM

I've followed the instructions in Nimble Storage SCVMM Integration Guide up until page 12 where you create logical units.  The options described in that step don't even exist in SCVMM.  It says to right click on Classification and Pools, but the only option is just to create another classification.  Nothing about creating logical units.

I have the array set up:

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 1.38.16 PM.png

Here's what the provider looks like:

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 1.39.06 PM.png

I did find a spot in the cluster's properties that seems the correct place to actually create logical units, but the storage pool is not available there:

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 1.39.56 PM.png

So, what does one have to do to make that pool available to the cluster?

I did use port 5989 and created firewall allowances on that port for in and outbound on all the hosts and on the server running SCVMM, even though that is never mentioned specifically.  But the default port seems to be 5988.  Per instructions, mine is using 5989 as you can see in the screenshots.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
hartj57

Oh, I also thought this might be relevant.  I have allocated the storage pool to the host groups.  That's why I am majorly confused on why it doesn't show up:

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 2.21.42 PM.png

kurt_viljoen

Hi,

We have recently installed a Nimble CS215 appliance in our environment. We have gone through the process of integrating with SCVMM, and currently are experiencing this exact issue where the storage pool is not available to create a new LUN, even though the pool has been allocated to the Host Group.

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?

Thanks in advance.

hartj57
Solution

I did not.  Sorry.

We ended up just doing it the old-school way with the Nimble Connect manager on the hosts and creating the volumes on the SAN manually.

This is obviously not ideal, but it is very apparent that Nimble put minimum effort into integrating with SCVMM.