Array Setup and Networking
1748089 Members
4943 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Is it supported for rack servers to direct-connect to Nimble arrays via Fibre Channel?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Not applicable

Is it supported for rack servers to direct-connect to Nimble arrays via Fibre Channel?

I have a single server in a DR environment, not to exceed 2 servers in the future. To avoid purchasing switches, I'd like to direct-connect via Fibre Channel. Is this supported?

6 REPLIES 6
thomas_lam
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Is it supported for rack servers to direct-connect to Nimble arrays via Fibre Channel?

Nimble Storage array NOT support direct-connect; SAN switch is mandatory.

jstinson105
Advisor

For our DR site, we typically demote our main production switches to it to keep our costs down when the main switches are upgraded. We did realize last year though that the support contract for our old switches from an old vendor were more than the cost of buying new, basic switches from our server vendor. A couple extra couple grand last year will save us money for the next 3-4 years.

wvanhoolst45
Valued Contributor

Since Nimble OS 4.x you are able to directly connect certain FC HBA without having to use a switch. Go to 

• Validated Configuration Matrix in InfoSight and check for note 7
wvanhoolst45
Valued Contributor

Thomas,

This was true in the past but there are exceptions right now. See configuration Matrix on InfoSight note 7.

Valdereth
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for pointing this out Walter, I missed this.  Can you clarify - is this for specific configurations or use cases?  Are there guides on how to deploy a Direct Connect setup?

wvanhoolst45
Valued Contributor

Adam,

I'm not aware of any guidelines with direct connect. Just make sure that each server is connected to both controllers on the Nimble and off you go. In case of doubt, please contact our support force