Array Setup and Networking
1752276 Members
5454 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

May I request an help understanding how Nimble storage works when it comes to Lun Ownership on the storage.

SOLVED
Go to solution
rahul9467162

May I request an help understanding how Nimble storage works when it comes to Lun Ownership on the storage.

Hello Experts, I need help on one of the issue I am seeing. I have Nimble storage connected to the ESXi host. Everything works fine. But there is a small problem I am seing. When I am booting the host it is detecting the Luns from the alternate paths. If I failover the luns it works fine. But the issue happens every time I boot the host. I think the Lun was on the secondary path when it was presented to the Host. Frankly I do not know much about the Nimble storage how it works. But wanted to know what can be done in this case ?

May I request an help understanding how Nimble storage works when it comes to Lun Ownership on the storage. Like if we talk about the VNX or clariion if the lun is owned by per SP who is not owner of the Lun and we present that lun to the Host. Host will see that path as primary path, but infact it is secondary path for the lun. Which will trigger such issues I am seeing on the client place. May I request you let me know if it is the same with nimble storage.

1 REPLY 1
jstinson105
Advisor
Solution

Re: May I request an help understanding how Nimble storage works when it comes to Lun Ownership on the storage.

First things first, Nimble uses an active/passive controller setup. That means that all LUNs are "owned" by whichever controller is active and in the event of a failover (intentional or not) all ownership of the LUNs switches to the other controller.

As for your problem, have you installed the Nimble Connection Manager for VMware on your ESXi hosts? This software installs the correct Path Selection Policy on the host to manage which paths to use, how to best load balance them and also how to handle a path down scenario. You can get the NCM by logging in to Infosight, clicking on the Resources menu in the top right of the window and then opening Software Downloads. You'll see the NCM for VMware listed with all the other platform-specific tools.

Cheers,
Jonathan