108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New Install CS210

SOLVED
Go to solution
seftekhari71

New Install CS210

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to know if someone can assist me with the question That I have.

We recently got a CS210 and I configured the array VIA command line.

I have done the following:

ETH1 on controller A for Management.

ETH2,3,4 for Data.

I did the configuration only on the Controller A. After the configuration was Finished I was able to log onto the Array VIA Browser. I can see the array showing healthy everything is green. I see both controllers A and B and all corresponding ports and connections are green.  I have done a failover for testing and I lost connectivity all together.

My questions is, Do I have to run the configuration on both controllers and provide the IP address configuration on Controller B? I only IP Controller A and I thought it is a floating IP scheme as fail over happens it takes the IP from Controller A and assigns it on Controller B?

As far as network goes, we only have one Switch. I know that is not ideal what so ever, but currently we have to configure the Array with Single Switch. Management has its own VLAN and ISCSI has its own VLAN configured. Ports are different for each controllers.

Could Someone please let me know what could have gone wrong?

Regards,

3 REPLIES 3
Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: New Install CS210

Hello Sohail,

You only have to configure IP Addresses for the active ports - they will fail over from controller to controller in the event of a failover (eth1 to eth1, eth2 to eth2, and so forth).

Have you plugged in the same eth ports on controller A and B into the same switch? If you only have eth1 configured and plugged in on controller A, yet you have eth2 plugged in on controller B, then failover will not occur because you haven't mirrored the network configuration correctly.

You should have a configuration guide in the array box itself, and you can also get the Installation guide on the "Downloads" section of the support site (sign up here: https://infosight.nimblestorage.com).

If in doubt, give Support a call - they'll be happy to help out.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
benwatson87
Valued Contributor

It all sounds as though it should be correct. You are right - Controller B assumes the same identity as Controller A (with respect to IP addressing and mgmt/data port distribution).

When you say you lost connectivity all together, does this mean management & servers' visibility of LUNs (or just one or the other)?

What do you mean by "ports are different for each controller"? Can you double check your VLAN configs on the switch, just to make sure that the ports from Controller B are in the same VLANs as their partner ports on Controller A? For example:

Controller A, Eth0 (management) - 10.1.1.50          --- VLAN1

Controller A, Eth1 (data 1)           - 192.168.1.11     --- VLAN2

Controller A, Eth2 (data 2)           - 192.168.1.12     --- VLAN2

Controller A, Eth3 (data 3)           - 192.168.1.13     --- VLAN2

Controller B, Eth0 (management) - 10.1.1.50 (inherited)          --- VLAN1

Controller B, Eth1 (data 1)           - 192.168.1.11 (inherited)     --- VLAN2

Controller B, Eth2 (data 2)           - 192.168.1.12 (inherited)     --- VLAN2

Controller B, Eth3 (data 3)           - 192.168.1.13 (inherited)     --- VLAN2

iSCSI Discovery address will be tagged to the management port.

It does sound like a networking config discrepancy to me, easily done though. Have you checked AutoSupport works from the array? That'll be useful for Support as/when diagnosing your issue.

seftekhari71

Thank you all for the responses.

It was mistake I made. I had the wrong port numbers written down for the switch.

The correct ports should have been 0/7, 0/8, 0/9, 0/10

I told them to configure 0/8, 0/9, 0/10, 0/11

After the change everything came backup properly.

Thanks again.