Array Setup and Networking
1748168 Members
4081 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New Install - UCS / Nimble / When is a switch needed?

SOLVED
Go to solution
MJensen
Occasional Contributor

New Install - UCS / Nimble / When is a switch needed?

Hello,

I will begin installing the Nimble CS240G-X2 with 2 Cisco Blade Chassis and 6248UP's.

My question is, when is it appropriate to not use appliance ports in the configuration?

We plan to utilize the nimble with the blades, and also 4 - IBM Servers with 10g ports. Can I just connect the 10g cards to the Fabric and get access to the nimble? Or should there be an upstream switch used?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to the Nimble storage!

3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable

Re: New Install - UCS / Nimble / When is a switch needed?

More of a UCS question than Nimble, but you would need a switch for connecting non-UCS servers.  The fabric interconnect will work fine for direct-attaching the Nimble to UCS however.  UCS C-Series servers are the only rack mount servers supported for connection to the fabric interconnects.

abiren10

Matt,

In your case with both Cisco Blades and non-Cisco servers, I would recommend using a pair of upstream switches for the 10g connectivity.

According to the UCS Interoperability matrix (http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/interoperability/matrix/r_hcl_B_rel2-22.pdf) only the Cisco UCS Servers are support for connectivity to the FIs with certain Cisco firmware.

Hope this helps.

pfrisoli27
Valued Contributor
Solution

good morning,

you will always want to use switches as a connectivity medium to service the HA function within Nimble. As for appliance ports, you would leverage this setting when directly connecting to the FI's versus a distribution switch fabric. I have provided a link doc to the deployment guide that I believe will help answer your questions and provide setup clarity. I hope this helps!

UCS Deployment Guide with Nimble.pdf