3691 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Nimble CS220 - Boot Loop

mogti6r
Occasional Advisor

Nimble CS220 - Boot Loop

Good Day

We currently have a Nimble CS220 which is in a boot loop and i am unable to get back online.

I have removed both controllers, reseated the ram, powered off and on multiple times to no avail.

This has happened in the past, however eventually boots correctly, this time not so lucky as its in a boot loop now for 48hours and counting.

It gets to the screen: 

Booting 'Nimble Array Appliance Standard Boot'

[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3000, size-0x2917e0

Then boot loops continuously 

Any advise on what i can try to get the Nimble to boot or any way to retrieve the data?

Thank You

22 REPLIES 22
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Nimble CS220 - Boot Loop

@mogti6r wrote:

We currently have a Nimble CS220 which is in a boot loop and i am unable to get back online. ...
This has happened in the past, ...
Any advise on what i can try to get the Nimble to boot or any way to retrieve the data?

Contact Nimble Support. Preferably the first time it happened.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

mogti6r
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your response Sheldon

I had contacted Nimble support - unfortunately they were not willing to assist due the appliance being end of life.

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Not good. I've been checking; the system went end of support on 31 Dec 2019, more than a year ago.
It sounds like it has a HW problem, and we do not carry stock for replacement parts for these systems as of that date.

Maybe some Third-party (not HPE) support?

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

mogti6r
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your efforts - any idea how i can determine point of failure?

mogti6r
Occasional Advisor

Thank You Sheldon for your responses and efforts.

I managed to get the Nimble going - turned out to be a corrupt boot image.

To resolve - i cloned the live USB and done a file recovery using EaseUS to recover all files from the live USB.

I then made an iso image of the live USB, the boot image file from the iso created was inaccessible.

From the file recovery - i found the boot image to not be corrupt. Repackaged all the files together with recovered image and created a new bootable live USB.

Plugged in to the appliance and booted up!

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Happy to hear you got it running. Being past end-of-Support, I hope it doesn't have anything too important on it.

This would be a Real Good Time to consider replacing it with an AF20.

Accept or Kudo

mogti6r
Occasional Advisor

It hosts all our VM's, we are considering replacing it with a newer model or may migrate our production VM's to the cloud.

Besr Regards

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Since the CS220 is past the end-of-Support date, you should replace it with a new model ASAP!

And, for future disaster purposes, a new Nimble can replicate to HPE Cloud Volumes (Block), which can then be used as storage for compute running on AWS, Azure and/or Google.

Accept or Kudo

RamaRoad
Occasional Advisor

Are you able to share the image? How did you create the bootable USB?