1753792 Members
7092 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Nimble -- Concept of "Host Set"

dwhickok
HPE Pro

Nimble -- Concept of "Host Set"

I'm currently a 3Par user in a VMware ESXi 6.x environment.  Most of our ESXi servers are in HA clusters and I have the 3Par storage presented to "Host sets."  Here's one example:

Host 1 -- WWN1/WWN2

Host 2 -- WWN1/WWN2

Host 3 -- WWN1/WWN2

Host Set 1 == Host 1, Host 2, Host 3

I present my 3Par VVOL to "Host Set 1" rather than each host individually.  The benefits include: 1) identical LUN IDs between all hosts; 2) the ability to quickly present additional storage or add hosts and have all storage presented nearly instantaneously.

Looking at the Nimble UI, however, it seems that this second level doesn't exist; I can only present storage to "initiator groups" which seem to be analgous to 3Par "hosts."  Am I wrong here?

Also, is there a document specifically aimed at 3Par users who are looking to add Nimble to their enviromnent?

BTW, I have an AF5000 running 4.5.3.0-566043-opt but can update to 5.0.4.0-576551-opt if that's a better plan.  

I work for HPE.
2 REPLIES 2
Seenivasan-XP
Frequent Advisor

Re: Nimble -- Concept of "Host Set"

In Nimble you have "Initiator Groups" .

An initiator is a port on a server or computer that "initiates" a connection with "target" ports on a storage array.
It can be an Ethernet Network Interface Card (NIC) port that initiates a connection over an iSCSI fabric to one or more target ports or a Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter (HBA) port that initiates a connection over a Fibre Channel fabric to one or more target ports.

Their no specific documents for 3Par users who are looking to add Nimble to their environment

I have an AF5000 running 4.5.3.0-566043-opt but can update to 5.0.4.0-576551-opt if that's a better plan----> This was verified update path 

Regards,

Seenivasan P

Hope this helps!
Regards
Seenivasan-XP

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************
dwhickok
HPE Pro

Re: Nimble -- Concept of "Host Set"

Thanks for the response!  I ended up opening a case with Nimble and determined the best path was to just add all my clustered servers to a single initiator group.  It's not nearly as elegant as how 3Par handles it but it'll work.  I also made an enhancement suggestion that the drop-down list with WWNs exclude WWNs that were already part of an initiator group.  Otherwise, in large large environments, that list will be unweildy and difficult to use.  We'll see where that goes.

I work for HPE.