108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Nimble management network interface resilience

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian4
Occasional Visitor

Nimble management network interface resilience

We have an HF60 with dual controllers with each controller having two NICs configured for management and connected to different switches. As I understand it there is a single management IP address. I would like to know how the IP address binds to an inteface and what event might cause it to move. For example, if it binds to eth0a I can understand that loss of link might cause it to move to eth0b, but is it able to detect any other failed network conditions?

2 REPLIES 2
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: Nimble management network interface resilience

I'll let someone else make a definitive reply. I think I recall seeing a customer's array reporting a degraded connection and it had switched to the other management port on the same controller.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Thomas_Lam_HK
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Nimble management network interface resilience

You are right, the array Management IP might bind to any NIC ports if such ports being defined for Mgmt network.

If the Mgmt IP is now eth1 and the port is down, then management IP will be float to eth2., just make sure your management switch pair is stacked.

In case of all management ports on active controller are failed, and with the standby controller have better management network connectivty,  controller failover will then take place otherwise (say, all management ports on both controller is down -> standby doesn't has better connectivity) no failover will happens.

Thomas Lam - Global Storage Field CTO

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo