108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Nimble service port

SOLVED
Go to solution
marcusburrows
Occasional Advisor

Nimble service port

I would like to know more about the Nimble array service port. Is it merely a non-floating IP address or is it connected to a separate iLO-style chip? I assume it has its own MAC address.  Many thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
StorageMike
HPE Pro

Re: Nimble service port

Hi

Do you mean the serial port near the SAS outputs? If so you'll need to connect to this using the cable that came with the Nimble Array. Connetion via Putty using 115200 baud should allow you to connect

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

marcusburrows
Occasional Advisor

Ah sorry. That's my bad.  I was referring to the Diagnostics IP rather than any physical port.  So, to clarify I'll re-word the original question:

I would like to know more about the Diagnostics IP addresses. Are they merely a non-floating IP addresses or are they connected to a separate iLO-style chip (and therefore have a separate MAC address)?  

Many thanks again!

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro
Solution

The Diagnostic IP floats on the management NICs of the designated controller. I don't believe it matters which management port happens to 'have' the diagnostic IP at any time and don't see why it would.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

StorageMike
HPE Pro

The diagnostic ip stay with the controller assigned they don't move around like a VIP.  They are used when something happens to the management ip. 

There is more info - https://infosight.hpe.com/InfoSight/media/cms/active/public/pubs_GUI_Administration_Guide_NOS_50x.whz/jun1443657118614.html If you search the guide it's also refered to as the support ip address

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

marcusburrows
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks!

marcusburrows
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks!  : )

Both replies confirm what I was suspecting, that it isn't an iLO-style lights out port.

Candhade
HPE Pro

Each controller on an array must have a dedicated Diagnostic IP (support IP address), which can be used for troubleshooting and technical support purposes in the event that a controller is not reachable through the management IP address. The support IP addresses must be placed on the group management subnet.

Significance of having this Diagnostic IP

Management IP is floating between both the controllers meaning when a controller failover happens, Management IP to connect to the Array remains the same.

Diagnostics IP is configured on individual controller, Diagnostics IPs of both the controllers and Management IP (all 3 IPs) are required for Array heartbeats and DNAs to send to Nimble Support.

We can consider Diagnostic IP as the Specific Controller Management IP.

The Diagnostics IP of the standby controller does not have the ability to manage the array or group.

Let's assume we have 2 arrays in a scale-out Group, then we need 4 Diagnostics IPs and 1 Group IP (floating). We need to manage the Group, we connect using the Management IP and if there is a need to connect to a specific controller of a specific Array within the group, we connect using the Diagnostic IP.

(Login credentials remains the same whether you connect to the Management IP or the Diagnostics IP)

Note: Diagnostic IP is also called as Support IP.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

marcusburrows
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks for that full explanation!  : )