New Discussion юеВ

Powershell Script to Create Clone, Mount Clone

SOLVED
Go to solution
smilerspeaking136
Occasional Contributor

Powershell Script to Create Clone, Mount Clone

G'Morning,

Does anyone have a script or point me in the right direction for the following script/tool.

## Microsoft OS requirement ##

• Select a Volume Snap
  • Create a Clone
  • Mount Snap

With NetApp's Snapdrive - it is posisble to select a snapshot of a LUN and mount that at another drive letter.

I know this is all possible manually, just very tedious task when trying to restore data.

If not I'll work on it myself

Thanks

Sparkles

31 REPLIES 31
jrich52352
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Powershell - create clone, mount clone

jrich523/NimblePowerShell ┬╖ GitHub

whatever it doesnt do for you, let me know and i'll add it in.

smilerspeaking136
Occasional Contributor

Awesome, thank you

jliu79
Frequent Advisor

Hi Justin, is there any documentation about what those scripts do and how to use them? Thanks. I'm looking for something similar as Mike asked but I'm no expert on power shell scripting.

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

Sorry I have not had time to populate the docs. I've tried to create all of the functions in a very standard way.

If you tell me what you're trying to do i could provide the code you'd use.

Also I should in the next week or so have time to get back on top of this, I need to add "volume collections" and populate the docs and then i'll have the majority of the gui functionality implemented.

rfenton4
Honored Contributor

Jason - there is a rather excellent introduction tutorial here

Many of the things Justin is using in his rather excellent scripts is also covered in that tutorial.

Hope this helps

Rich

jliu79
Frequent Advisor

basically I'm looking for scripts to make restoring data easier. Just like Mike said, clone a volume from a snapshot, give access permission of that volume to a server, connect to the volume using iSCSI in the server. Thanks.

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

Those are all in the module, have you loaded it successfully?

You have to connect first, but you can get a list of all functions by running the following command.

gcm -Module nimble

That will return about 18 functions. the names are pretty self explanatory..

You can use tab to help complete things, for example if you do

get-nsvolume -<tab>

You can then tab through the different parameters.

I would suggest using powershell ISE to start since the intellisense will really help.

This was created in powershell 3 but should be compatible with  2, however i strongly suggest you use v3.

I've tried to add a good deal of protection to any remove command, but, like anything else, be careful with what you do.

in your case, are you talking about taking a snapshot that you have already and converting it in to a close and setting access? Is the snapshot from a protection plan?

jliu79
Frequent Advisor

Hi Justin, I tried the gcm тАУModule nimble command and it returns nothing. I copied all the scripts into my powershell profile and the folder is named nimble. IтАЩm running Windows 8 which is powershell version 4. Does that matter? Thanks.

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

so you'll want to copy all of the files (and unblock them) to

my documents\windowspowershell\modules\nimble

dump all the files in that folder and then from powershell type

import-module nimble

gcm -module nimble

also, V4 is currently only with Windows 2012 R2 and as a CTP download. however if you do have it, it will work fine.