108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Pulling the Trigger On A CS300

SOLVED
Go to solution
rugby0134
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pulling the Trigger On A CS300

So much performance - the power is only 400W! 

Remember that same footprint can go 4 X faster with a CPU upgrade!

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

I've deployed 5 nimble arrays for organisation we provide IT support the first 2 arrays went in 2 years ago and have done 5 upgrades on these. Absolutely flawless and no outage whatsoever. 

10GBe has been excellent from our Commvault backup solution. We replicate and have CoRaid NAS appliance on 10 GBe also. Replicated snaps are kept for 7 days and CoRaid keeps 40 days of backups. Monthly to tape for long tern retention. Nimble support is OUTSTANDING. 

PokerMunkee
Advisor

She's racked and running!  I'm still wiring up switches, cables, labeling, etc.  Taking a long time!

I have a consultant coming out for 3 days at the first of Feb. to help me get everything setup and working the right way.

The fans are spinning pretty fast (loud), is this normal?  Can't find anything in the web GUI about temperature/RPM.

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

The temperature is under MANAGE: ARRAYS: then select your array and you will find a Temp icon. Just select that and you will see the current temperature of the array controller or and extension shelves if you have any.  Hope this helps?

Kind Regards,

Mark.

PokerMunkee
Advisor

Thanks, found it.  Everything is GREEN.

Going to create a ticket.  Too loud for my taste, server room is across room from our offices and is overbearing.

Server room temp is 70-72.

Fans are at 13K RPM!  My Dell servers are under 3K RPM.

Array is saying 35C on mb and 22C on back plane.

Anyone know how I can make it stop sounding like a jet engine?

PokerMunkee
Advisor

Support had me update to the latest software (2.3).

Fans are still at 13K RPM.

What RPM do you guys see on the fans?  I would think they should be around 2-3K?

Valdereth
Trusted Contributor

Here are the stats from our Demo array (low average I/O), its a CS210 and in a room with an ambient temp of around 75F.  Our production array CS460G is right around the same temp/fan but more average IOPs and cooler temp in its data center:

Motherboard temp: 31C

Backplane temp:     40C

Fans all range between 10K-11K RPM

PokerMunkee
Advisor

Thanks.  I've never had a device that made this much noise when temps were at 70F.  I suppose 10-13K RPM is normal then.  I'm still going to see if the RPMs can be lowered.  All of my servers have run at 2-3K RPM.  Not sure what other SANs run at, but don't recall a EqualLogic PS4100 being this noisy.

PokerMunkee
Advisor

CS300 in it's new home.  Fans are normal at 10-12K, will get used to new noise   I did order some acoustic sound foam to mount on wall directly behind rack.  Will be interesting if that helps.

10940534_10100949651757461_4194756511100547324_n.jpg?oh=9e455b7ae84d7a2f890532d0af3b3d23&oe=55275145

iannoble38
Advisor

Re: About to pull the trigger on a CS300

We required new switching for the project we were doing when we bought Nimble, so we got 10gb switching and upgraded our hosts to 10g at the same time.

We got a really good deal on some nexus 9372TXs as they were our first nexus purchase, that they weren't much more than a good 1gb switch but give us good investment protection.