108790 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replication and Renaming Volumes

SOLVED
Go to solution
briffle52
Occasional Advisor

Replication and Renaming Volumes

We have some volumes that are currently named "test-<volume>"  We are testing some new tools in our datacenter.

We want to setup replication, to our DR site, and have it replicate the few TB of data across.  Part of the reason, is we want to run simulated loads, and see how much replication bandwidth it will use, how big the snapshots will be, etc.

However, before we "go live" we will need to rename the volumes to remove the 'test-' from the start of the names. (and address the servers that connect to the targets, etc.

If I simply rename, and don't change the protection templates at all, etc, will this force a complete resync of data? and/or create a whole second set of volumes? or will this intelligently rename the volumes on the other end of the replication?

ps. why can't I choose a place when I post this?  All the places are greyed out?

1 REPLY 1
briffle52
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Re: Replication and Renaming Volumes

To answer my own question, you can just rename the volumes.  When the next snapshot replicates, the volume on the replica is renamed as well.

unmounted and the used iscsiadm to logout, offlined the drives, renamed, reran the iscsiadm discovery.

Once complete, used iscsiadm to login, then 'mount -a'