108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Update Questions for CS220 from 1.4.11 to 2.1.4

SOLVED
Go to solution
bill_blair135
Occasional Contributor

Update Questions for CS220 from 1.4.11 to 2.1.4

I wish to update one of our customers running 1.4.11 to 2.1.4 on a CS220.  This is my first upgrade and I have a few questions:

1.     The array has internet access, but when I hit the download option it only gives me the current OS version as an update option.  Is it OK to download the OS to my laptop and manually download it to the array or should I check with CS first?

1a.     Do all releases run on all models?

2     This array is only used for VMWare and they are only using the VMWare plug-in.  Do I have to unregister and re-register the plug-in?

3.     After you select update after the download the the array automatically perform the failover and giveback of each controller?

Thanks,

Bill

3 REPLIES 3
Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Bill, here's some answers for you.

1 - if your array has internet access yet you cannot see the new 2.1.x firmware then there's a good chance that your system has been blacklisted due to a known bug or problem that you will encounter during the upgrade. (You can also verify this by heading to the assets tab in Infosight and clicking the OS version your system is running). It's worthwhile giving support a call to find out what the problem is and how to fix before upgrading - please do not manually upload the firmware to your array as this could have severe consequences.

1a - yes, the single firmware image is compatible with all Nimble models.

2 - it's advisable to unregister and re-register the plugin if possible before & after the 1.4.x to 2.1.x upgrade.

3 - the array will upgrade the system to ensure no downtime is noticed by your applications - so once the standby controller has taken the update & verified all is good the controllers will perform a handover (typically 3-4 packets dropped in this process), and will then proceed to upgrade the second controller. The controllers will not fail back as there's no need to do so.

It's worth taking some time to install Nimble Connection Manager for Windows & VMware in your hosts before upgrading to 2.x also. This will require a host reboot (Windows) or Maintenance Mode (VMware).

Hope this helps, I would definitely reach out to support to get them to look at the blacklist before taking any further steps.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
Not applicable

Also - if you don't see the code you want available in the downloadable code screen you can call support or you can login to infosight. In infosight you can choose the "dashboard" tab.  Then at the bottom of that tab is the "Upgrade Needs" section. If you highlight the click on the "Current Version" of the OS on your array - it will show you if your on a black list, and what steps steps would be needed to get the latest release of code.

bill_blair135
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kevin