Array Setup and Networking
1754019 Members
7435 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: What is a good average latency number for a volume created for one Exchange server?

SOLVED
Go to solution
markyone7125

What is a good average latency number for a volume created for one Exchange server?

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
nelson49

Re: What is a good average latency number for a volume created for one Exchange server?

Maybe a little more information from you would help get some answers.  Which Exchange Server version?  What roles?  What type of volume (database, logs)?  How many users?

rfenton4
Honored Contributor

Typically JetStress (the Exchange IO test tool) will want to see reads to the data volume complete under 20ms and logs volumes to complete under 10ms in order to pass 

There is a good guide here 

http://m.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2013/planning-architecture/disk-performance-testing-jetstress-2013.html

markyone7125

Thank you for replying.  We have Exchange 2013 using client access and DAG.  We have about 300 users and our logs don't get too big so we placed the whole server in one volume.  I was just curious what others on average were getting under the performance volume read/write latency.

markyone7125

Thank you for replying and for the guide.  As I replied to Nelson, I meant to ask what other Nimble customers were getting on their Exchange Volume DB/Log read/write average latency.  I appreciate the guide though which I will take a look at.

iannoble38
Advisor

Over 30 days:

As reported by the array:

Data: 1.58ms / 0.18ms

Logs: 1.07ms / 0.16ms

As reported by VMare (so includes OS drives too etc):

DB Server: 2.7ms / 0.14ms

Cashub: 1.5ms / 0.33ms

iannoble38
Advisor

For a comparison, our previous storage (10k SAS enterprise array):

DB Server: 14ms / 2.6ms

Cashub: 18ms / 3.5ms

CBVista
Occasional Advisor
Solution

We have Exchange Server 2013 and run two MBX servers in a DAG, with 2 databases. Each database has about 200 mailboxes

Our databases and logs are split into separate volumes with performance policies to match.

For the last 90 days our average latencies are (Read/Write):

DB1-Data: 0.79ms / 0.29ms

DB1-Logs: 0.92ms / 0.19ms

DB2-Data: 0.82ms / 0.31ms

DB2-Logs: 0.99ms / 0.19ms

We're achieving and average of 97% cache hit

Breaking stuff since forever
marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

MDB1 3.53 ms   Log1 under 1ms

All the others DB log pairs are broadly similar