108788 Solutions
New Discussion

difference between Nimble and Nimble DHCI

giladzzz
Honored Contributor

difference between Nimble and Nimble DHCI

Hi all

Is the difference between a regular Nimble machine and Nimble DHCI machine

only in the controller operating system or is it also in the controller itself.

I know that there are compulsory network connections but that can also be configured

on any Nimble

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
Candhade
HPE Pro

Re: difference between Nimble and Nimble DHCI

Nimble Array and Nimble dHCI Array may look the same. However, they are different in terms of its functionality and use.

dHCI feature will be ENABLED only in the HPE factory. Customers cannot enable dHCI feature on a normal Nimble Array.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Indeed - dHCI is an disaggregated-HCI management solution, built to use HPE Proliant servers & VMware vSphere alongside the Nimble dHCI-enabled array as a single solution. It brings end to end deployment, management, 1-click lifecycle management and HPE Infosight AI-Ops - all integrated through a single management plane of VMware vCenter.

We don't charge additional for the dHCI capabilitiies - however the system is imaged from the factory specifically for dHCI and end-users are not able to convert from regular to dHCI, or from dHCI to regular Nimble.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
Ian4
Occasional Visitor

Can a dHCI enabled Nimble operate just like a non-dHCI enabled Nimble as far as being an iSCSI storage array or is it restricted to just presenting storage to HPE servers? We have a dHCI enabled array and I would like to present LUNs to our existing Dell vSphere cluster. Can I do that without causing issues?

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

You're in luck! A dHCI enabled Nimble operates just like a non-dHCI enabled Nimble as far as being an iSCSI storage array.
Only the HPE ProLiant servers in the dHCI cluster will be managed by dHCI. And only HPE ProLiant servers can be in the dHCI cluster.
The Dell servers would be in a second cluster not managed by dHCI. The Dell server cluster can still use the vCenter plugin for simplicity of provisioning.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo