1753848 Members
8350 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 2 3500yl with multiple vlans

RHC1
Occasional Visitor

2 3500yl with multiple vlans

I have 2 new 3500 yl with 10Gig module and the 10meg cooper between them. I need 3 VLANs for my virtual environment ( Cos/Management, Vmoton/HA and  ISCSI). So far I created 3 vlans, I set a trunk on the port A2 (10Gig module) and tag that trunk for all VLANS. Each server connected to the appropriate VLAN port group on each switch (NIC 1 = Switch 1 Port 30(untagged for ISCSI), NIC 2 = Switch 2 Port 30(untagged for ISCSI), etc. Now on my management server (DL 360 G7) I am using HP network utility to team my cards and manage ISCSI storage (P4300), but I keep losing connection to it. It looks like those 2 switches not aware of each other and sometime the packets going out and never come back.

So what I am trying to achieve is either; 2 switches working together and I have 2 Gig bandwidth for each server and if one fails it stays operational or 1 active 1 passive configuration. Please let me know how to get that. Thank you in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
ArjanA
Advisor

What do you use as gateway on the server and the P4300?

Are you losing packets only on the SAN?

RHC1
Occasional Visitor

Networks are not routed, so I do not have a gateway. My problem is not missing packets, each of the P4300 boxes has 2 network connections; 1 goes to switch 1 and another one to switch 2. There is an option to bond those connections and then setup a group IP to access SAN. In case of the switch or NIC failure I should be able to access that box thru another connection and this is not working.

Thank you.

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi

What you're looking for is Distributed Trunking. Have a look at K.15 Management and Configuration Guide, chap 12.

Just as a side note... "trunk' in ProCurve refers to Link Aggregation, it's in no way connected to VLANs or VLAN tagging. So having one-port trunk configured makes really no sense, and doesn't affect to how VLAN traffic is being sent.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer
jmerlino

I have a question regarding multiple vlans across a single 3400cl link.

We have a client with four vlans

vlan,1,2,5,6

they have a stck of switches in one closet and a single switch in teh other that connects via fiber link on back to the commander of the stack.

Vlan one is fine across teh link, how do I add the other vlans I have created?

I am not HP savvy, mostly a cisco world for me..

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thank you

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi

That's simple. When you try to pass more than one VLAN traffic over a link, then link can be untagged on one VLAN, but must be tagged on the others (Cisco terminology trunk port). All ports are by default untagged members of VLAN 1. Show running config -output:

vlan 1
   untagged 1-48,A1-A4
   ip address 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.0
   exit

Now let's say 48 is our uplink port, and need to put the rest of the VLANs there as well. Commands:

configure

vlan 2

tagged 48

vlan 5

tagged 48

vlan 6

tagged 48

write memory

New show running config -output:

vlan 1
   untagged 1-48,A1-A4
   ip address 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.0
   exit

vlan 2
   tagged 48
   exit

vlan 5

tagged 48
   exit

vlan 6
   tagged 48
   exit

That's it :-) Of course similar VLAN tagging must be applied on the other end of the link as well.

My memory rule is actually when passing one VLAN traffic through a port the port is untagged, when multiple VLANs the port is tagged in all.

Basic configuration you can find in Management and Configuration Guide. VLANs are in Advanced Traffic Management Guide. Manuals for 3500 are available from http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12883&prodSeriesId=3457354.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer