Aruba & ProVision-based
1748151 Members
3540 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 2350-24G-PoEP connected to WAP571 - laptop on wireless cannot ping wired laptop on same VLAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
JMilne
Occasional Advisor

2350-24G-PoEP connected to WAP571 - laptop on wireless cannot ping wired laptop on same VLAN

I am trying to get a very simple VLAN/WIFI experiment up and failing miserably.

I do have an image that shows the experiment very clearly but I don't yet have permission to upload images so I will try and explain the experiment instead.

I have a ProCurve 2350-24G-PoEP and a Cisco WAP571.

The ProCurve has the following config:

J9773A Configuration Editor; Created on release #YA.15.12.0015
; Ver #05:08.41.ff.37.27:a3
hostname "HP-2530-24G-PoEP"
ip default-gateway 192.168.47.1
snmp-server community "public" unrestricted
vlan 1
   name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
   no untagged 20,21
   untagged 1-19,22-28
   ip address 192.168.47.13 255.255.255.0
   exit
vlan 60
   name "GUEST"
   untagged 20,21
   tagged 19,23-24
   no ip address
   exit

I believe this has set up two VLANs; the default (VLAN 1) and GUEST (VLAN 60).

I believe that port 19 is VLAN trunked (but this may be wrong) because I assigned it to more than one VLAN.  If this is wrong, would someone let me know what extra commands I need to make it a VLAN trunk.

I also have a Cisco WAP571 (connected to port 19 on the swicth).  On this device there are the same two VLANs with the same VLAN IDs.  I have configured 2 wireless networks; DEFAULT and GUEST each linked to the DEFAULT and GUEST VLANs resptively.

I have screen shots of the config (the device does not have a CLI) but I can't upload them either yet.

I then have two laptops.  Both have manual IP addresses in the 192.168.60.0 255.255.255.0 network (192.168.60.100 and 192.168.60.101).

Test Laptop 1 (192.168.60.100) is attached wirelessly to the GUEST wireless network.  I can see the device on the WAP management web interface as associated with the GUEST wirelss network and GUEST VLAN.

Test Laptop 2 (192.168.60.101) is wired into port 20 on the switch.

I believe that Test Laptop 1 should be able to ping Test Laptop 2 (and vice versa) as they are in the same VLAN and on the same subnet.

However, they cannot.  If I put both laptops on the GUEST wireless network, they can ping. 

If I put both laptops on untagged ports in VLAN 60, they can ping.  However, I simply cannot get a ping from a laptop on wireless to one on wired.

On other forums, people have suggested I need to trunk the connection between the AP and the switch.  But, I though trunking on HP switches was to do with bandwidth and not VLANs...?

Would someone point out where I am going wrong here...?  Any help would be very much appreciated.  It;s my first post on this forum so please let me know if I need to adjust/move my post.

UPDATE:  The show mac-address vlan 60 command confirms that the mac addresses of both laptops are in the table for vlan 60.  I believe this means that packets are getting to port 19 and then something is happening after that that means they never get to Test Laptop 2......?

9 REPLIES 9
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Re: 2350-24G-PoEP connected to WAP571 - laptop on wireless cannot ping wired laptop on same VLAN

On what port is your AP connected to the switch?

JMilne
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for looking at my question.  The AP is connected to the switch on port 19.  Test Laptop 2 is on port 20.  Port 21 is spare for when I tested wired communication between the laptops.

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

You switch config seems ok.

.Can you connect 1 laptop wired and 1 wireless, then check the arp tables on the latops.

When you open command prompt in windows, use following command arp -a

Check if you can see the laptops in the table.

JMilne
Occasional Advisor

Test Laptop 1 is connected wirelessly to VLAN 60 via the AP on port 19.

Test Laptop 2 is connected wired to VLAN 60 via port 20.

The mac addresses of both show up in the mac address table on the switch for VLAN 60.

Test Laptop 2 (wired) can see Test Laptop 1 address in the arp table.

But, Test Laptop 1 can not see Test Latop 2 address in the arp table.  It has a static braodcast address instead (192.168.60.255 => ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)

BjKo
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Your config looks correct. 
You are also right about the terminology. 

And you even see the wifi mac-address in the mac-address table of the switch? I would say it should work then. 
I would check the arp table of the clients or give the switch an IP in the VLAN and try to ping from/to the switch. 

I could only imagine some kind of "guest protection" on the AP, so that he isolates wifi from wired for some reason. Is it just configured as a "normal" internal SSID with a VLAN tag or are some security features enabled?

HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Yes, as BjKo already mentioned. I think you should verify some security/configuration settings on the AP.

JMilne
Occasional Advisor

Ho BjKo, thanks for looking at my question.  Does it matter that the laptop on wireless (Test Laptop 1) can not see the mac address of the wired laptop (Test Laptop 2)?  And are you thinking that might be due to some security setting on the AP?  If so I'll check that.  The AP is all defaults out of the box except for the VLANs and the wireless networks.  I'll have a dig around to see if I can see anything.

JMilne
Occasional Advisor

HI all, thanks for your input.  Progress is happening!

I attempted to take wireless out by connecting Test Laptop to the other Ethernet port on the AP.

That led to the discovery that the second Ethernet port had been disabled because the power requirements to run the 5G wireless radio were too much for the PoE.

So, I decided to swicth to 2G as an experiment (as I hadn't tried this yet).

I connected Test Laptop 1 to GEUST-2G and all pings just worked as expected,

When I put it back on GUEST (which is 5G) no pings work.

Does anyone know why?  Is it just that the AP was never working correctly of 5G because of the PoE?  If that is so, how come I could ping between two laptops both connected wirelessly to GUEST (5G).......?

JMilne
Occasional Advisor

I'm closing this down and selecting the last helpful post as the asnwer as this is now a wireless AP issue.  Thank you all for your assistance.  It is very much appreciated.