6584 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 2510G, static VLANS across switches, and stacking

Gregg_Hughes
Occasional Advisor

2510G, static VLANS across switches, and stacking

Good afternoon, all!

I have a pair of 2510G switches in one of my datacenters. I'm looking to redesign the networking there, and want to know if I can set up a static VLAN that breaks over the two switches.  

Would I need to have a separate connection between two ports in the static VLAN in addition to the regular stacking connection, or would a trunk between the two switches be enough? I'm also figuring that Spanning-Tree would also be required for such a configuration.

I have an example attached.

Thanks to all for looking!

Gregg

3 REPLIES 3
HP-Browniee
Respected Contributor

Hello

If you stack the switches (what i recommend) you don't need to make another link between the switches. When you add a switch to a stack it takes the config of the first(master) switch. So in that case your vlan 100 will be automtically created on your second switch.

If you don't use stacking, you will need to make a connection between the 2 switches. If it is only vlan 100 thats needs too pass, an access port in vlan 100 will be enough. If you need multiple vlan on that link, you will have to configure a trunk link.

Normally you don't need spanning-tree, for this setup. 

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Gregg_Hughes
Occasional Advisor

Hello!

Apologies for a late reply; there's a nasty flu going around.....

Would the ports on the two switches communicate OK? That is, would port 5 on switch 2 communicate with port 1 on switch 1 with no additional connections or configurations? Port 24 would be an access port, I think.....

Thanks!

Gregg

Gregg_Hughes
Occasional Advisor

I'm a doofus.

Just dug out the 2510 Advances Traffic Management Guide. Pg 2-5 figure 2-3 - exactly what I was looking for.  

Tagging, trunking - just make port 24 untagged on the DEFAULT_VLAN and tagged on VLAN100 and 200.  End of config. Stacking won't afffect anything on the VLAN side other than to copy the default config to a new member.

Yes?