New Discussion юеВ

2650 switch firmware update

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ruud Hermans
Occasional Contributor

2650 switch firmware update

Hi guys,

I have got an assignment for my internship to update the firmware of the hp procurve 2650 switch. What is the latest version and how can i do this? Also i need to write a script to be able to reload switches.

can someone help me?
3 REPLIES 3
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: 2650 switch firmware update

Software can be d/l from here:
http://h10144.www1.hp.com/customercare/support/software/summarypages/h-j4900-c.htm

Info on how to update the switch code is in release notes. It is usually done via tftp.

NOTE!!!!
Pay careful attention to upgrading code, if you try to make to big of a jump in versions, you will "brick" the switch, and the only way to recover is to do a serial connection file transfer which altho doable, is not all that fun if you don't remember serial comms. (ask me how I know ;-)

You should be able to figure out some sort of "scripting" function based on process notes, I am not a programmer so I can't help you on this one.

hth...Jeff
pt307
Advisor

Jeff - re: your warning - in my experience the switch seems to read the header of the .swi image file and rejects the upgrade attempt if the new firmware is incompatible with the current boot ROM.

$ strings H_10_83.swi | grep ROM
@(#) Compatible ROM G.06.XX 00

Perhaps this is a new addition? It's certainly stopped me from bricking a switch or two ;-)

Paul
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Paul, I do believe you are correct. This issue got me in a class a few years ago, and the version I was trying to upgrade to was the version that did not have that new check in it...so I always read the relnotes before upgrading :-)

Thanx for adding that info!