108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 2910AL won't pass traffic on 10G ports

SOLVED
Go to solution
JBoswell
Occasional Advisor

2910AL won't pass traffic on 10G ports

I have a brand new ProCurve 2910AL-48G with J9008A modules connected via 1m Direct Attach Cables (J9281B) to a Solarflare adapter (SFN5162F) in a server running RHEL 5.7.  I've got green lights on the relevant ports.  The management web interface on the switch even shows TX and RX traffic incrementing on the Port Counters Detail page for port A1.  Yet I am not actually getting any traffic through the switch to the rest of my network (6 ProCurve 2848 switches via trunks).  The 2910AL is running W.14.70 firmware.

The Solarflare adapters can talk to each other in separate servers, just not through the 2910AL.   What am I doing wrong? 

9 REPLIES 9
JBoswell
Occasional Advisor

I don't think I have a VLAN problem. All ports are in the VLAN_DEFAULT. I can reach the 2910AL management interface IP from anywhere on my 2848 network. But I can't even ping it from the 10G SFP+ port on the 2910AL.,
JBoswell
Occasional Advisor

I should have typed "DEFAULT_VLAN" above.  So much for my memory.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

Check if linux is presenting a tagged port. Your A1 port is untagged in VLAN1 - you may have to tag A1 in VLAN1.
JBoswell
Occasional Advisor

My /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file contains no VLAN=yes line, so I don't think the adapter itself is being tagged by Linux. But I haven't figured out the command to query the Solarflare adapter to make sure.

Further confusing results: the 1G ports on my 2910AL act just like my 10G ports. I configured a couple of extra nodes (normally connected to one of my ProCurve 2848) on the 1G ports of the 2910AL, and they cannot communicate to the server on the 10G port, nor to the management interface, nor to each other.
JBoswell
Occasional Advisor

In the 2910AL's web management interface, there is a Configuration tab, a VLAN configuration button, and a Modify Port VLAN Configuration page. VLAN_ID is 1; VLAN_NAME is DEFAULT_VLAN. But the Mode pulldown menu is currently blank. Options are No, Tagged, Untagged, and Forbid. Should this menu item really be blank?
JBoswell
Occasional Advisor

Are there any HP networking engineers on this forum?  If not, how can I escalating this issue?

Recap: My ProCurve 2848's are all starred into my 2910AL via trunks.  All the 1G ports on all the 2848's can communicate with each other through the 2910AL.  All nodes on the 2948's can "speak" to the management interface on the 2910AL.  None of the ports on the 2910AL (neither 1G or 10G) can see the management interface on the 2910AL, nor can they see any of the equipment on the 2848's, nor can they see each other.

Simon Clout
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I seem to be having a smilar problem using a 10GbE trunk between an HP5406zl and a 5412zl. All traffic passing between our 1GbE link and our core network is fine and working as it should be. The 10GbE link which is set up exactly as the 1GbE fails to pass any traffic although the link is up and the 10GbE port has alledgedly become the main trunk.

Can you see that the the 10GbE port is actually shown in the port config? I cannot see mine at all even though I can see it via the port status option in the menu. When inserting the gbic the port light glows green and the switch logs show that a gbic has been inserted.

I'm currently trying different versions of firmware on a dev switch to see if this makes any difference along with different combinations of ports etc.

JBoswell
Occasional Advisor

FWIW, all of the ports on my 2910AL, including the 4 10G ports, show up in port configuration.  I can even click on them in the web management interface and watch the packet count increment.  All connected ports (trunks or not) also show up green (i.e. link present) in the management interface.

JBoswell
Occasional Advisor
Solution

I figured out my issue.  All ports on the 2910 were not only in the DEFAULT_VLAN, but they were also tagged.   Oops.  Untagging all ports seems to have fixed my issue.

For newbies to the 2910 such as myself, the configuration for VLANS is not in the 480 page Switch Management and Configuration Guide, but rather in the 306 page Advanced Traffic Management Guide.  Too bad we don't get these guides with the equipment any more.