1753481 Members
4801 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

2930F vsf stack - how to replace a switch that isn't faulty

bobR-in-uk
Visitor

2930F vsf stack - how to replace a switch that isn't faulty

This is my first post in this HP forum arena so apologies in advance if it's in the wrong place etc.

I am learning to build (and tear down) a 2930F vsf stack in a test enviroment and I want to try replacing a member. I am using pages 739-740 in the OS 16.05 pdf - following the 'Replace Switch in a Stack' instructions.

I have 4 switches stacked as members 1, 2, 3, 4 linked with DA cables, and they as stacked as commander, standby, member, member. Daisy-chained, not in a ring.

When I enter the command: vsf member 4 type JL256A and hit return. The error says 'A VSF switch with the specified member-ID is already present', and it will not delete the members mac-address. If one of the switches was really faulty I believe it would be listed in the stack as 'missing' and the command would run OK.

Q. how to replace a stack member if the switch is not faulty - when it is listed in the stack as 'member' rather than 'missing' ?

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: 2930F vsf stack - how to replace a switch that isn't faulty

Have you tried to follow what is written on the well known ArubaOS VSF Configuration Guide with regards to removing a VSF member from a VSF Stack (example: vsf member 4 remove in your case)?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
bobR-in-uk
Visitor

Re: 2930F vsf stack - how to replace a switch that isn't faulty

Thanks for the reply. I did read through those docs and got a bit confused - about whether I needed to do a 'vsf member remove' and 'vsf member shutdown' and 'no vsf member links' etc. So I hoped that a simple 'vsf member type JL256A' should do the trick instead.

In the end I imitated a faulty switch by turning off the power to one member, and then the vsf command ran just fine i.e. I powered off the switch, removed DA cables, ran the 'vsf member x type JL256A' command, booted up new switch, attached cables and it all came back up after a few minutes.  I had added a DA cable to complete the ring first.

I did this on both a member switch and then on a commander switch to see what happens. Replacing a healthy commander switch by powering it off did generate some persistent orange lights until a stack power-cycle cleared them on the reboot. 

If I may ask another question: is there a command to reboot the stack instead of just the commander switch ? I haven't found one yet, but I also haven't worked through all the docs yet. And if there is, I might have missed it.