5116 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 2930M Stacking Config

FMcK-uk
Occasional Visitor

2930M Stacking Config

Hi Forum,

Total noob question here. If I have a stack 5 x 2930M 48G switches in a ring topopogy using the stacking modules connected in the rear slot. Then I want to introduce additional modules to increase the Uplinks to 10Gbps, do I need all the switches in the stack to have the same additional module? or can I just install one module at the top and one module at the bottom of the stack?

2 REPLIES 2
FMcK-uk
Occasional Visitor

By additional modules I mean the Aruba 3810M/2930M 4SFP+ MACsec Module (JL083A)
parnassus
Honored Contributor

@FMcK-uk wrote: I want to introduce additional modules to increase the Uplinks to 10Gbps, do I need all the switches in the stack to have the same additional module?

No, you don't need to equip the very same module on each stack's member...simmetry is not mandatory (your second question is thus automatically answered).

The basic principle should be to not create a weak link to a resilient stack by just terminating uplinks only to some (and not to all) of its members from the same peer (where a peer could be a Switch or a Server, it doesn't matter)...following this principle will require that each stack member should be involved.

Clearly there are corner cases or scenarios where a reasonable compromise, in terms of resilency versus weak link, would fit well too avoiding to use a lot of aggregated links across the whole stack (so just terminating a LACP Port Trunk to two stack members would suffice).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner