Re: 5406 VLAN routing issue

Hi Robbie,

Good to hear you've got it sorted out!

Regards,
Paul
DHow
Occasional Visitor

I know this was probably a dated issue but your answer on the management vLAN was absolutely correct!

I post because while it was s imple fix, it was easy to overlook. And I can'tbegin to number how many searches resulted in people running into this same problem, yet never finding (or posting) a result...so thanks!

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Good to hear it's definitely solved, and thanks for coming back to document the answer.  This site seems to get indexed reasonably reliably by Google, so let's hope that future people finding this problem won't have to look as long or as hard... :-)

Regards,
Paul
TimCampbell
Visitor

Hi, Im having a similar issuew where i am getting destination net unreachable when trying to route across 2 vlans. Can someone confirm when the management-vlan command does? And is it safe to remove it?

Thanks

Tim 

Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

Hello.  Management-vlan is a security feature where only the IP address on that VLAN can be used to manage the switch (telnet/ssh/web).  Also, routing, if enabled, to or from the management-vlan is not allowed. 

Removing the management-vlan will allow the switch to be managed from any of its IP addresses.  But there are other ways to secure that (like IP authorized managers) if you want to allow routing to/from the current management-vlan.