Please let me know the steps

Regards

Biju

29 REPLIES 29
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: 5406R switch redundancy

Your question is a little bit unclear.

What do you mean with the word redundancy once it is applied to a single Switch/Chassis?

Do you mean adding redundancy at Management Module level (called Nonstop Switching) within each HPE 5406R zl2 chassis you have or what else (Power Supply redundancy, always within the same chassis)?

If you mean adding redundancy at Management Module level within the same chassis you need to add an additional Management Module per chassis (so you end with an Active Management Module and a Standby Management Module): redundant Management Modules offer Nonstop switching and Hitless failover within the same Chassis.

This, it's clear, is valid only per-chassis not between them.

Start by reading the Chassis Redundancy (8200zl and 5400R Switches) page here and then follow next related pages.

AFAIK there is no other redundancy concept between these Switches (between Fabrics = between Chassis).

Eventually, there is a new technology called VSF (Virtual Switching Framework), very recently introduced, but that technology adds definitely other features (Two Physical Switches become a single Logical Switch) and it has little to do with Management Module redundancy. The VSF, if implemented, disables the Nonstop switching (if enabled).

Probably there are other (more or less complex) configurations with which you can try to avoid SPoF...like using proprietary IRF (Intelligent Resilient Framework) but, AFAIK, IRF is supported only by HPE FlexNetwork Switches family and not by the HPE/Aruba ProCurve one.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Bijukiv
Advisor

Dear Sir

thanks for quick response

I am here by attached teh image of 2 switches for your reference. I want these 2 switches to be done in redundancy. In these 2 swtiches only 3 SFP will be connected for time being . so that if 1 switch fails other will be active. 

its like 2 switches will be load balancing If 1 switch is active other switch will be passive and vice versa

I hope this information is clear for a slotuion

Regards

Biju

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I've used a pair of 5412s for a redundant core setup.

I added VRRP to all VLAN interfaces.
I trunked the two switches together and added all VLANs.
I made the VRRP Owner the STP Root.
I made the VRRP Backup the STP 2nd choice.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

VRRP has nothing to do with the broader "core redundancy" concept...so saying that VRRP provides a "redundant core setup" is simply misleading.

Why it is?

Because VRRP is a protocol that provides redundancy to Default Gateway(s) within a LAN; VRRP allows you to provide alternate Default Gateway's paths for LAN's Hosts without changing the IP/MAC addresses by which those Hosts know their next-hop gateway.

So...considering the PO request in the light of what he posted (he didn't mention about any peer/edge Switch connected with Distributed Trunks) if:

1. He configures VRRP as you told him,
  2. He simulates that a Switch of the pair (as example: the VRRP member 1, actually the VRRP Master) goes definitely down (K.O.),
  3. He has an Host (as example a Workstation) that is directly connected only to that Switch (no DT),

What is going to happen to that Host? ...there is no VRRP that can help it.

That Host on that Switch will be left out...despite the VRRP, despite both HPE 5400R zl2 Chassis are trunked togheter, despite the single HPE 5400R zl2 Chassis has Nonstop switching feature enabled (if equipped with the second Management Module).

If you want redudancy you need Hosts:

• connected to another layer of peer Switch (or Switches), that additional layer is then connected with DT links to the ISC-Enabled core (in this way you are just moving down your SPoF at peer level):

HPE_ISC_plus_DT_with_DTs_against_peer_Switch_C.png

or

• directly connected to the ISC-Enabled core with direct DT links (so you need Host/Servers equipped with dual port NIC with ports capable of Distributed Trunking):

HPE_ISC_plus_DT_with_three_DTs_against_three_Servers.png

or a mix of both.

In both cases you need ISC. Then you need DTs and, eventually, then you can add VRRP.

For Distributed Trunking (dt-lacp or dt-trunk) to work you must use ISC (InterSwitch Connection) between the two 5400R zl2 cores. It's a pre-requisite.

For Distributed Trunking and ISC there are a lot of others restrictions and requirements.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

He seems to have written that he wants redundancy in case one switch fails. With only 3 SFPs connected, he says there are no workstations directly connected to them.

A "core" switch is a switch that does routing. VRRP provides redundancy at Layer3. VRRP and core redundancy are therefore mutually agreeable concepts that have everything to do with each other. (you must have been having a bad day - I didn't write anything misleading).
He hasn't indicated he is going to be doing any routing on these switches, so my VRRP example may or may not be relevant. It was a brief and factual response designed to elicit further information from him about his requirements.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Sorry! was an hot day yesterday. I didn't mean to offend you.

The point is that a Core that has no other connections to any other device (so there is only just Switch 1 <--> Switch 2 and exactly nothing else) is a practical non sense, no matter if VRRP, ISC or DT were used or not (probably theoretically it could have a meaning but I ignored it)...so I supposed that if the OP asked (He asked two times, didn't him?) for an Active/Standby clustering-like Core with two 5400R zl2 then maybe he is going to use that clustered-Core to provide some sort of continuity to any Servers/Hosts and/or to any Edge/Access Switches (not indicate, you're right) connected to it.

It's like the OP is asking for a "load balancing"/"redudancy" to nowhere...

Yes, I just supposed that and I build up a picture a little bit more complex than required but I did that to show the OP that things (if he really need to implement that) aren't simple as his request.

Sorry again.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Bijukiv
Advisor

HI

Sorry for the late reply

Its just confusing for me

I need just like load balancing. switch1  will be active and switch 2 will be passive. if switch 1 fails switch 2 will be active and switch 1 passive

now at present

3 fibre are connected to switch 1

same 3 fibre are connected to switch 2

stacking cable are connected from switch 1 to switch 2 in sfp port

For the above i need to do redudancy / load balancing

i hope these info is clear

Regardds

Biju

Bijukiv
Advisor

hi

Attached the image for the reference

I hope Its like VSF configuration 

I require r configuration steps if it is VSF or is there any other solutions

REgards

Biju

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hello Biju,

I think we understood pretty well what you have.

IMHO, the point here is that you need to explore/read/understand by yourself any pertinent documentation about the features provided by Aruba 5400R zl2 so you can compare them with your specific requirements and decide what to do next.

Start by reading The Joy of Stacking here.

The Aruba VSF Configuration Guide is published here.

Also the ArubaOS-Switch Management and Configuration guide for K/KA/KB.16.01 has a good section (Chapter 19) about VSF. Read it.

Just study all the material you're able to find.

There is also a nice Video about VSF in which Justin Nooan (Technical Marketing Engineer at HPE) explains quite well what VSF is and how to configure it; that video is called "Improve network resiliency with VSF simplicity" and can be found here.

It's really up to you to understand if what you want is achievable (or not) with the systems and the knowledge you have now.

It's really up to you to understand if VSF is good enough (it has clear requirements and restrictions, pay attention) or if you need something different to setup, as written.

Good work and good luck Biju.

P.S.

It's not clear from the picture...but I think you're using the HP 12-port 10/100/1000BASE-T PoE+ / 12-port 1GbE SFP MACsec v3 zl2 Module (J9989A) for your uplinks between your 5406R zl2 Switches...if so...even if you just want to give VSF a try...you will not be able to...because VSF cannot be enabled on port(s) operating at other than 10G or 40G (you have SFP so limited to 1G ports) and, in any case, you can't mix different port speeds in the same VSF link: all ports of the VSF link must be either 10G or 40G (no 1G).

I'm not an HPE Employee