Aruba & ProVision-based
1753316 Members
5196 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 5406zl chassis will only power gigabit access points if speed-duplex is set to 10/100

borderst
Occasional Visitor

5406zl chassis will only power gigabit access points if speed-duplex is set to 10/100

The installed module is a j8702a, serial number SG750AT0QS.  The cabling is brand new cat6 that has been validated.  The firmware revision on the chassis is K.15.15.0008 and its serial is SG723SU009.  Previously I tried version K.14.60 as I have another switch with the same module installed which displays full function with a gigabit link on this firmware.  When the interfaces are set to auto speed duplex and negotiate a gigabit link the PD is not logged as being detected but show power-over-ethernet shows the port as delivering.  The device is a cisco 1041n ap and when consoled in it does start but the ethernet interface does not pass traffic.  It does not recieve an address and cannot complete the connection to the Cisco controller for the lightweight access points.  If the command is given to set auto-100 on the the interface the ap can communicate and boots normally.  This behaviour is consistent across the ten ap's connected to this switch regardless of which switch port is used.  Both devices claim 802.3af compatibility and the ap model is only about three years old.

2 REPLIES 2
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: 5406zl chassis will only power gigabit access points if speed-duplex is set to 10/100

Sounds like fun...

First thing I would do is use the same cable to the same switchport and stick my laptop on it and watch the switchlog as the port negotiated a successful 1Gb connection.

Once I'd satisfied myself that this was a good 1Gb switchport, I'd wonder about the power draw of the AP.

I would first check that it really is an 802.3af device and not a "802.3af device, but only at 100Mb". Then, I would get the AP and patch it to the same switchport, but using the shortest possible length patch lead, to reduce the power draw due to dissipated power on the copper cable.

At that point if it still wasn't working, I would wonder what I was missing - I would patch the AP into the switch again with logging set to debug and see exactly what was going on.

If nothing special was being logged, I would probably sleep on it, because nothing else immediately springs to mind.

borderst
Occasional Visitor

I should have provided more detail in my original post.  Other non-poe devices, my laptop and a server chassis near the rack, will negotiate a gigabit link and DHCP on these interfaces.  The accesss point will function on another Procurve POE switch of the same make at gig speeds.  It will not function with a known good 3ft patch cable on the ports in question.  Another AP with the model 1602i displays the same behaviour on this switch.  I have not tried any other gig POE devices on the switch as all of our POE equipment is either 10/100 ip cameras or gigabit capable ap's that display the same behaviour.  There are a few FAQ mentions on other models from the 2600 series that would be roughly the same vintage indicating gig ports that will supply POE but only at 10/100 speeds.  I fear that this may come down to differences in hardware/pcb revision between this chassis/module and the other which is working.  The other switch is routing and has many features enabled that aren't present here but the POE config is identical.  I will increase debugging and see what I can find.